General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

alternator conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 05:46 PM
KillSwitchNY
2nd Gear Member

Default alternator conversion

just bought new optima yellow top battery and turns out my alternator is probably shot.

i will not go with 75 amp again. i want to know the best way to go with upgrading the alternator on an 88 5.0.

i am planning on buying a 1995 GT alternator that is 130amp and grinding the bracket but is the plug a direct fit?

or what is it about a conversion i hear?

please help!! i need to have a new alternator installed by sunday.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:15 PM
1fastzook
4th Gear Member

Default RE: alternator conversion

I have a "95"style 200amp alt on mine and i didnt have to grind anything.You will have to run a 4ga wire from the batt to the + post on the alt and you will have to wire a new plug to use a 95 style alt but its easy.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:38 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

I'm about to do mine this weekend...I got the same alt....130A from a 94-94.

It's not supposed to be that bad like zook said....if you want reading material, do a google search for "3g alternator wiring". It will pull the info you need.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:12 AM
1FUN5.0
2nd Gear Member

It's a very simple proceedure!!
Old 05-12-2006, 02:03 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

yea, its easy to do, just get some dk blue butt connectors, crimpers and splice in the new connector. Good choice on a Bat, I have had no problem with my yellow top yet, I have gone through 3 orbitals (All replaced within warenty) Orbital is ontop of the game now with their latest bats, but just a note, they do not fit under the hood in the stock location for our stangs, thus making optima's optimum
Old 05-13-2006, 01:58 PM
KillSwitchNY
2nd Gear Member

i did my alternator conversion yesterday. and yeah u were all right it was quite simple.

i picked up a 3g alternator from a junkyard out of a 6 cyl cougar and notched out the bracket and it fits rine.

i stupidly cut the stock plug that i was supposed to just leave and reuse.

what do you guys suggest using as a pulley.. the smaller one from the 75 amp or the original larger one on the 3g? i put the smaller pulley on anyway.

once the alt was on the car started and stalled 3 times before running and throttle response was horrible for about 15 mins. now the car runs a little more sluggish, anyone have that problem?

i cut the power plug and put 2 eyelets on the black wires and connected them both to the bolt at the back of the alt.

also. i cut the thin white line that is with the 2 power lines and spliced it into the new 3g plug, (the thin white clip thats separate).

does that sound right. ill try to get a pic of my work.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:00 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KillSwitchNY

i did my alternator conversion yesterday. and yeah u were all right it was quite simple.

i picked up a 3g alternator from a junkyard out of a 6 cyl cougar and notched out the bracket and it fits rine.

i stupidly cut the stock plug that i was supposed to just leave and reuse.

what do you guys suggest using as a pulley.. the smaller one from the 75 amp or the original larger one on the 3g? i put the smaller pulley on anyway.

once the alt was on the car started and stalled 3 times before running and throttle response was horrible for about 15 mins. now the car runs a little more sluggish, anyone have that problem?

i cut the power plug and put 2 eyelets on the black wires and connected them both to the bolt at the back of the alt.

also. i cut the thin white line that is with the 2 power lines and spliced it into the new 3g plug, (the thin white clip thats separate).

does that sound right. ill try to get a pic of my work.
I would have kept the pulley that came on the 3G b/c the smaller one will run it more and wear it out faster. Keep in mind that your 3G alt (w/ the pulley that came on it) will run almost the same amps your stocker did at full charge.....