General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Battery Relocation Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 11:34 AM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Default Battery Relocation Kit

Would having the battery in the back of my car be dangerous because my nitrous tank is back there too?
Spark+nitrous=boom?
And isnt the battery supposed to go over the right rear tire?
my tank is on the right side... what would it do if i plopped the battery on the left(driver side) instead?
Old 04-03-2004, 04:29 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Battery Relocation Kit

nitrous isn't flammable at room temps. the battery goes on the right side to preload the suspension to counteract the torque reaction of the chassis twisting when you dump the clutch. moving it to the trunk does help weight transfer and gets the weight off the nose of the car for better traction in the back.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:59 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

just move the nitrous to the left side....moving the battery help like said above in puting wt over the right rear tires and pulling wt off the left front...it also cleans up the engine compartment to put a msd there....nirous is basically consentrated air with sulfure added....your battery will be and should be in a closed box with a rubber hose lead to outside of the car for the fumes of the battery...adding an airbag to the left rear will preload the suppension
Old 04-04-2004, 01:47 AM
red347
2nd Gear Member

Ever planning to go to the track? If you do then you better install the remote master on/off switch in the rear as well. Gotta have it when you relocate the battery. The hold downs for the battery must also go through the frame rails to be track legal.

Ron
Old 04-04-2004, 03:32 AM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Ouuuu thanks for the tips Ron
and where can i pick up this switch?
Old 04-04-2004, 05:22 AM
red347
2nd Gear Member

www.summitracing.com or www.jegs.com should have them. I used a version by Flaming River. I am syre they have a web site. I installed it under the car, with the handle coming through the rear valance. A Push/Pull type. Do you have a single wire alternator? Otherwise it gets kind of tricky. When the switch is thrown off, if not wired right, the car will still continue to run off the alternator. It should kill all the power.

Ron
Old 04-04-2004, 01:02 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

the battery hold down bolts must be at least 3/8" in diameter too in order to pass tech.
and try not to drill a hole in the gas tank either.
since you're going with a bigger pump and have to drop the tank, then would be the time to locate and drill the holes for the battery hold downs.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:53 PM
red347
2nd Gear Member

I used 3/8 inch rod stock from my local auto parts store. Then drilled thru the frame rails, using the spacing of the holes in the base plate of the battery box. Pushed the rod stock through. Put a "Nylock" on the bottom and on the top (after putting the "base plate" of the box over the rods) put a Nylock on the top. Done.

Ron
Old 04-04-2004, 07:26 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

since you're going with a bigger pump and have to drop the tank, then would be the time to locate and drill the holes for the battery
so i should wait til i get my pump n junk?
Old 04-05-2004, 12:18 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

I would for the reasons I already listed above. This way you will be the safest especially is you drive the car until the tank is almost empty before you attempt to take it off the car to install the new pump.

Quick Reply: Battery Relocation Kit