General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Anti Theft Key?'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 05:17 PM
s5150stang

Default Anti Theft Key?'s

Ok my stang has been off the road for a week nowl. I have a 96 GT with 148k miles. She has been flawless for the past six years I have ran the ***** off it. Last week I filled up at the pump. When i went to take off she hesitated for a split second and then kept going fine. I turned a round at a place and got on it again with the same split second hesitation. These happened at about 4.5 grand. I shut it down got a bite to eat and returned to the car. Started fine and drove for about 5 miles. Stopped at a light for a minute. When I took off normal......she died. Has not started again since. The one thing I noticed was the anti theft light on the dash has been blinking. Only ever did that one time. That was with a unprogrammed key about 5 years ago. I do not hear the fuel pump whine like normal. So I replaced it. Still will not fire!!! Have preasure in the fuel rails!!! Theft light still blinks? All the fuses are good.....So can I overide the theft system or is there another problem??????[&o]
Old 05-15-2006, 07:53 PM
StangChik
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Anti Theft Key?'s

Have you simply tried resetting the computer?

If not or if you did, take the battery loose and leave it off for about an hour, that completely resets the brain in the computer, if it is only unhooked for a minute or two it only partially resets it.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:13 PM
s5150stang

Yep been there done that too.....No luck!
I noticed the theft light blinks fast for exactly one minute and then it blinks once and then six more times repeatedly for about 5mor minutes while the key is in the run position...
Old 05-16-2006, 03:50 AM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

do you have compresion?
Old 05-16-2006, 04:58 AM
s5150stang

Yes I do have compresion. It all goes only she will not fire.

Nice white stang by the way.....I alway thought white would be cool with black stripes and a plate that said KNUKS......skunk backwards!
Old 05-16-2006, 05:15 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: s5150stang

Yep been there done that too.....No luck!
I noticed the theft light blinks fast for exactly one minute and then it blinks once and then six more times repeatedly for about 5mor minutes while the key is in the run position...
That's a PATS problem... and a dealership issue as far as I know... your key could have died, or the sensor near the key tumbler has gone bad/has a loose connection. It's likely something with the sensor but it's hard to say either way.

You may have to get it towed to the Ford dealership and shell out for one hour's worth of labor to have them re-set all the PATS stuff, if that is the problem... or replace the sensor. Ford keeps the PATS secrets locked up tight.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:09 AM
s5150stang

Hey thanks for thew impute. Have a bad feeling you are correct about the PATS. Wish you where wrong. I do have issues with the tumbler. For about four years now it has not been able to be turned back to the accesory position and you can remove the key at any time. Its kinda nice cause I would pull the key out and lock the doors when I would be letting it warm up. Maybe it has finally bought it. I think I will tear the collom appart and see whats going on in there first.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:05 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: s5150stang

Hey thanks for thew impute. Have a bad feeling you are correct about the PATS. Wish you where wrong. I do have issues with the tumbler. For about four years now it has not been able to be turned back to the accesory position and you can remove the key at any time. Its kinda nice cause I would pull the key out and lock the doors when I would be letting it warm up. Maybe it has finally bought it. I think I will tear the collom appart and see whats going on in there first.
Might be worth taking a look... I've had my share of PATS issues Since you're having issues with the tumbler it's very likely it finally gave up and died lol... You may be able to find a loose connection though, who knows. I am not positive where the sensor is located, so I can't help you there.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:15 PM
Melectrok
2nd Gear Member

Try using your other key.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:18 PM
s5150stang

Shadow,

Hey I think you might have it. I have tried other keys with no luck. I got under the stearing colum todat and took the plastic off of it. Its like pealing back the skin in the terminators arm. Lot more mechanical looking than I thought. At any rate there is a little match box sized black box on the under side of the colum. It is attached to a loop which is around the tumbler. Then there is a small grey bundle of wire about 10 inches long which leads to a plug with 4 prongs. Came right out easy.

Took it to Ford. WHOA did I get a rash!! "Where did you come up with that idea......What lead you to believe thats the problem?" So I asked about the THEFT light flashing and if it was a code. I was proptly told that cars no longer are like the "older" cars which used to flash codes on the dash......(older than 10 years?) So I say to the guy so its just an odd coincidence that it flashes in a pattern.......He says YEP!. "You probably messed up more stuff taking that thing off and have more codes now. You are going to probably need to bring it in...." I said ya right!? $52 an hour labor plus about $50 more to hook it up plus maybe another hour just for grins. I am considering buying a scanner for myself. Might spend the money and get something good which can be updated from the net or something. I know enough other people who whould throw me a few bucks to barrow it in a time or need. Plus I can forsee needing it.

OBSERVATION #2: Took my part home and hooked it back up except for the plug. Turned key and same thing happened.....No Fire! THEFT flashes fast for a minute.......AND THEN NO CODE!!!??? Tried it a couple of times....Same thing! Hooked up wires......Flashes fast for a minute then the code comes back!!!!.....Tried it a couple more time each way. SO MR. FORD guy is it a code now????[sm=icon_beat.gif]

Still not fixed still lost and stuck driving the truck in the nice weather.......AHHHHHHH!!! [sm=WTFsgign.gif]