General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Morning squeaks - accessory pulley, or belt?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 04:47 AM
Wes8398
1st Gear Member

Default Morning squeaks - accessory pulley, or belt?

It's been cold and damp here for the last few days and I'm finding that my car is squeaky upon starting it after it's been sitting more then 8 hours or so. The sound gradually goes away after a few minutes, and doesn't return until it's sat for an extended period of time again. Is this the belt, or one of the pullies? I did drive through a big-*** puddle the other day ... it was unavoidable ... wonder if some water got up in there and is what's causing this...? Just wanted to check since i'm totally **** about my new ride and any noises or strange things goin on bug the hell outta me. lol
Old 05-19-2006, 01:21 PM
anthonydalrymple
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Morning squeaks - accessory pulley, or belt?

Sounds like a bearing going dry. Belts usually will slip intermittently; not only immediately at startup & "gradually go away". Borrow a stethascope or buy one from the parts store to narrow down where the squeeking bearing is located. You'll use the tool in the future if your half as **** as i am; I assure you...
Old 05-19-2006, 02:37 PM
raptorkingcobra
1st Gear Member

Has it been raining there a lot? Dewy in the morning? Is your belt to tight?
Old 05-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Wes8398
1st Gear Member

Yes, it's been raining a lot - like I said it has been cold and damp weather here the last few days. The belt isn't too tight either ... at least I don't think it is.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:54 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

If your weather is like Florida its just your belt slipping because of the fog settling and making everything damp. Mine does it sometimes in the morning, but to be honest it usually only happens when I start the engine, I've never heard it any other time than that.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:11 PM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

Try taking a dry bar of soap and hold it up to the inside of the belt.. Let the belt rub and cut grooves in the soap.. Thats an old trick I was tought as a kid.. It should get rid of the noise..
Old 05-19-2006, 07:49 PM
shadyjady

hello.... i have had my 99 v-6 for 3 years, and it almost seems like there is a missing part that would cover the belt, because if i hit a puddle, it rains, or has been damp, my belt squeks alot, especially if i go through a big puddle, it almost sounds like its going to fly off, but that has happened since i bought it , even parked in my garage, on damp days, you can hear it squeek a little, one of my friends that fixes cars said, its the belt, when it squeeks really loud from hitting a big puddle, it will stop in a few seconds or so, just dont drive like a maniac, he said it might fly off! (i'm not sure if it will or not, but i wouldn't take a chance!) i hoped this helped you .
Old 05-19-2006, 08:02 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

Eh, I had my idler pulley squeaking, and replaced it and that got rid of my problem. That was when we had a lot of rain around here and I went through some puddles.. But do try the soap trick, if it's the belt, it'll make it stop.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:53 AM
michaelbarry
2nd Gear Member

Funny that you posted this, since I just noticed this the last two mornings on my car, and it has been really moist outside both mornings.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:11 PM
hwest
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gt96stang

Eh, I had my idler pulley squeaking, and replaced it and that got rid of my problem. That was when we had a lot of rain around here and I went through some puddles.. But do try the soap trick, if it's the belt, it'll make it stop.

+1!

Quick Reply: Morning squeaks - accessory pulley, or belt?