General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2.3 TO 5.0 CONVERSION

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 10:00 PM
mimsy_5.0

Default 2.3 TO 5.0 CONVERSION

Hey I have 2 'stangs right now, a '90 GT with a stock 302 setup and a '93 LX 2.3 bone stock (obviously). I detailed cars for years and did minor installation of aftermarket parts and I removed a rear once but I never attempted anything as big as an entire conversion. I have been hitting up websites and grabbed some books on how to do it. I got the basic ones like the haynes manual and all, but none really say in what order to do everything. In other words, I know how to take out the rear, the engine, exhaust, etc., but I am not sure which to do first, second, third, etc. I don't want to end up doing it wrong and bending or snapping anything (mainly anything in the drivetrain) so I figured I would come on here and make sure I was doing it correctly. Also, I noticed when looking at the brake lines that if I keep the dual exhaust set up, which I am, I will have to also take the brake lines from the GT off since they run right between the two pipes and the lx brake lines run back to the passengers side. Will I risk snapping the fittings or anything if I try to remove the lines from the GT or should I just buy a new set of lines? Any advice would be helpful, or even if anyone knows of a website that gives instructions on 302 conversions that would be cool too. Thanks homies.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:33 PM
anthonydalrymple
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 2.3 TO 5.0 CONVERSION

Honestly? You have the best scenario; a donor car you can park right next to the project car. You guessed correctly; the brake lines need to be changed over as well. It's been awhile since i did this to my '89 former 4-banger.... If you have line wrenches, WD40, & patience; you will be able to remove the brake lines easily. Since just about everything has to be swapped over; I started with removing the motor, trans, eec & harness, rack & pinion, spindles, rotors, calipers off of the 4-banger car. Set it up on stands (of course) & then cleaned \ degreased the engine compartment. I then shot the entire engine compartment in semi-gloss black. After that; I pulled the 5.0\5-speed from the donor car & replaced the rear main seal & oil pan gasket that were leaking. I swapped in the correct rack & pinion, spindles, rotors, etc. I transferred the motor, trans, eec & harness. Then slowly buttoned everything up. I went back to the rear: dropped the gas tank (for installing the V8 fuel pump \ 190lph) & pulled the rear axel assembly out. Then it was time to route the brake lines. It's all pretty simple & straight forward; took me 13 days of bust'in my **** every free minute outside of work..... I had never done anything this big before in my life; so i'm sure you'll do just fine.....
Old 05-24-2006, 05:58 PM
mimsy_5.0

Hey thanks anthony. That should get me started just fine, the manuals should be able to take me through the small details. I really appreciate the help.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:43 PM
anthonydalrymple
3rd Gear Member

No problem. if you run into anything out of the ordinary along the way; feel free to pm me & we'll really see how good my memory is....
Old 05-24-2006, 07:02 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

first, drain everything. second decide what you are flat out going to replace (ie, exhaust, rear diff, brakes, ect.) and if you do or don't want to rebuild the motor. you're taking it out, so might as well, IMO, and three, take your time, you try to rush thru it and you'll end up breaking something. and my personal suggestion, it'll cost ya about 650, but replace the wireing harness with one from painless, it's another one of those, you're taking it out, you might as well.

and best of luck, when you do this, make a photo walk thru and we can post it here.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:08 PM
mimsy_5.0

THanks for the help. I have a brand new wiring harness so I am taking your advice on that one. Oh and I have another question, I am upgrading to either a 76 or a 73mm MAF and I was wondering if the stock computer can run that or will I have to upgrade to a computer out of a cobra or something. I know I read somewhere about it but I don't know if its something necessary or if its just recommended for better performace.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:48 PM
anthonydalrymple
3rd Gear Member

If you have a typical 5.0 V8 computer(A9L,A9P,A9S,A9T,etc) then you will be fine with both the stock maf or aftermarket maf. You just need to make sure you get a maf calibrated for the size injectors you intend too run.....
Old 05-28-2006, 10:00 PM
mimsy_5.0

Oh alright cool. Yea I am lookin at both sizes on ebay and can't decide which to go for. I can get either calibrated to my size injectors once I order, I figure I am going with either 24 or 30. Most likely 30.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:12 AM
mimsy_5.0

Hey guys I need some feedback on my air/fuel system set up. Heres what I just ordered for my currently stock 302: GT-40 upper and lower manifolds (a.k.a. Explorer intake), BBK cold air intake, C&L 76mm maf, 30# injectors, 70mm throttle, 255lph pump with adjustable fuel pressure regulator, 1/2" fuel rails. I am going to upgrade to bigger fuel lines (could use some tips on what size lines to run or if stock is ok for a 255 pump). Word on the street is to upgrade heads and cam first, I have not touched the cam or heads (I was able to get all of the other things at a steal so I went ahead and bought those before someone else snatched them up). I have been reading people's posts who asked for suggestions on injector sizes, etc. and there are so many mixed opinions that I am not sure what to do. I know everyones got different tastes, so if you don't like my set up, eat sh**. lol jk, I just want to make sure this set up will work and be supported by the engine itself or if I should put off installing all of this until I get my hands on the GT-40P heads and E303 cam I want. Thanks again, any help is appreciated.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:14 PM
anthonydalrymple
3rd Gear Member

24lbs; no more than that. And they will be fine even if you upgrade to "real" heads one day....

Quick Reply: 2.3 TO 5.0 CONVERSION