General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

car not starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 10:12 PM
dghost22
1st Gear Member

Default car not starting

I got the Gt back together today. It fired right up. I let it run for a few minutes just to check for fluid leaks and everything was fine. I went to take it for a drive and started it up. It started fine. It ran for about 30 seconds then the tach dropped. The motor ran for maybe another 2 seconds at normal idle, then it also died. It has not started since. I replace the ignition module thinking that may be the culprit. Same issue. I replaced the coil thinking that maybe help, same issue. Any ideas here. I mean, there is not much to the ignition system, unless I am overlooking something. PLEASE HELP....
Old 04-11-2004, 11:03 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

Default RE: car not starting

Fuel, spark, and air. That's what you need to start. Maks sure the engine's getting fuel. Does your engine turn over at all? If it at least cranks then you can check and make sure you're getting spark. Pull the boots off and see if it will spark when you hold it near metal and crank the engine. If not your problem is somewhere with that. If not then it's probably a fuel problem, can you hear the pump run when you turn the key? Check that stuff out and let us know what you find out. Good luck
Old 04-12-2004, 12:22 AM
dghost22
1st Gear Member

I have narrowed it down to electrical. I have fuel and air, but I am not getting spark from the coil. I have replaced the coil and the ignition module, still no fire in the coil....WTF? Any advice on that one? Another question, the harness that runs into the tfi coil, where does it go from there? I can trace it back to the firewall but after trhat, I have no idea.....
Old 04-12-2004, 01:08 AM
bossman351
2nd Gear Member

It deffinately ounds like electrical. Try a scanner It can tell you alot about your car by just plugging up to the diagnostic port. It could be in the distributor its self or even the ECM. If you dont have access to a scanner you can go to a parts house and get a diagnostics tool which works kinda like a scanner only a little more low tech.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:36 AM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

Ok here you go ive pretty much figured it out for you based on your posts.

But check a few things to help pinpoint it.

First get an old spark plug or hell pull one from the car and use it.Next put it in the end of the wire going to your distributor and have a buddy crank the car over.If youre getting fire from it thats good.

Second (IF YOU GOT FIRE FROM THE FIRST TEST) take that same plug and put it into one of any spark plug wires coming off the distributor and crank it over if you are not getting spark now but was the first time you have a bad pick up coil in the distributor.

If this in fact is the problem you can (A) get a new pick up coil from an autoparts store for about 20 bucks.But you need to know how to assemble and disassemble a distributor which can be a bitch some times.

Your second option is to buy a new one.If this distributor is older i recommend replacement.Or an upgrade to a better one.

If you have any questions let me know ill help you out.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:46 PM
dghost22
1st Gear Member

LOL, you are good. It turned out to be the pickup coil. Since the distributor is the only thing in the ignition system that is not MSD on my car, I replaced the distributor with an MSD distributor after I replaced the pickup coil in the old one. That was a pain in the a**. I had a hard time getting the gears off to pull out the shaft. Even after the pins were out.... anyway, to make a long sotry short, thanks for the help all