General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

runnin lean questions????!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 04:06 PM
RollinThunder
3rd Gear Member

Default runnin lean questions????!!

I had my car on the dyno and it came out that my car runs lean b4 3500rpm this was b4 I had any work done to it....

my question is does runnin lean mean that my car is gettin to much air? or fuel?
Old 04-13-2004, 04:21 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

Default RE: runnin lean questions????!!

Means you have too much air/not enough fuel
Old 04-13-2004, 07:00 PM
619socalstang
3rd Gear Member

the dyno shop you went to is crap if they did not explain this to you. do not run you car lean for to long it will raelly mess stuff up, fuel pressure reg. shuold solve the prob i am a carb guy so im not sure but i think 38lbs is about right for your setup.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:37 PM
Jugador
5th Gear Member

yeah. lean is mean=myth. it's really mean when it melts ya pistons. get it fixed
Old 04-14-2004, 01:10 AM
RollinThunder
3rd Gear Member

the thing is thou after I installed the C&L 85mm maf my car felt soo much stronger....but since my car was runnin lean b4 I installed the MAF how come it feels even more stronger now that I"m gettin more air into my engine cuz wouldnt that make it even run more lean?
Old 04-14-2004, 01:12 AM
RollinThunder
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 619socalstang

the dyno shop you went to is crap if they did not explain this to you. do not run you car lean for to long it will raelly mess stuff up, fuel pressure reg. shuold solve the prob i am a carb guy so im not sure but i think 38lbs is about right for your setup.
whats a fuel pressure reg.?...sorry if it sounds like a newbi question I do kno alot more about cars then I did 5 months ago but still havent learned all there is 2 kno
Old 04-14-2004, 01:48 AM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

It's on your fuel rail, what it does is opens at a certain pressure and sends excess fuel back to your tank thorugh the return line. You can get aftermarket adjustable ones to adjust the fuel pressure coming into the engine. If you havn't done anything to the throttle body or intake then the MAF you got wont' make a huge difference in the amount of air actually getting to the cylinders.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:25 PM
RollinThunder
3rd Gear Member

I"m planning in the very near future on gettin the c&l inlet tube and there upper intake, and also a BBk 75mm t/b...should I install those right b4 I get the tune?
Old 04-14-2004, 03:29 PM
RollinThunder
3rd Gear Member

sorry one more question....the dyno guy said he could correct my lean condition with the dyno tune... so would him reprogramming everything make it run just right ( not to lean not to rich) without not gettin a fuel pressure reg. or any other aftermarket part?....thanks
Old 04-14-2004, 04:24 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

he can certainly measure the air/fuel ratio and try to reprogram the chip. a lot of Stangs run lean by nature because the computer is tuned more for mileage and emissions than it is for performance, so there's room in the fuel maps in the computer to improve this lean condition. don't know how much he can do without an adjustable regulator, but if his tune is less than $100, I'd give it a try as you will spend that much or more for a good regulator anyway.

Quick Reply: runnin lean questions????!!