General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Q about the "cold" in CAI

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 12:19 AM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

Default Q about the "cold" in CAI

I was lookin at some CAI setups and some systems claim "colder" air than their competitors, as well as certain setups pulling in colder air than others. This doesn't really make sense to me. If the outside air is a set temp (even factoring in the wind blow), how could one setup pull in colder air than others? Now I can understand pulling in "more" cold air, but "colder"? I just don't get it. Case in point, straight shot vs. regular ect...
Old 05-31-2006, 12:22 AM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Q about the "cold" in CAI

the stock air intake is a cold air intake. don't waste your money on an aluminum version that will heat soak and warm the incoming air.

just slap a K&N filter in it.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:49 AM
nickys GT

Some CAI have the filter directly in the engine compartment, they will draw in warmer air than other intakes that have the filter sitting in the fender well that will draw in somewhat cooler air. Also some intakes have the tubing from the filter to the throttle body that are plastic instead of aluminum, since plastic disipates heat and will not heat up as much as the aluminum tubing.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:50 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Yea the factory setup already IS a CAI in a Mustang. But what they're referring to is.. how effective a particular brand CAI is at preventing hot underhood air from seeping into the intake. A fully fender fed CAI is MUCH better than those ones where the air filter is fully exposed under the hood
Old 05-31-2006, 12:53 AM
Rook6
3rd Gear Member

So I'm actually losing horsepower with the CAI I have? I mean it does have a larger inlet and straighter path to the throttle body
Old 05-31-2006, 01:29 AM
langod
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rook6

So I'm actually losing horsepower with the CAI I have? I mean it does have a larger inlet and straighter path to the throttle body
No, probably not. But you're probably not gaining as much as the manufacturer would like you to believe. The stock intake works just like a CAI -- it pulls air through the fenderwell. The cheapest way to make it better is to just buy a K&N cone filter for it and maybe remove the silencer piece that sits inside the fender. If you want a cool look to go along with your CAI, go buy any kit you like. When all is said and done there's no more than a couple of horsepower difference between any of the CAIs. I was fortunate enough to be able to dyno my car before and after installing my K&N FIPK. The result? 3 RWHP. Yep that's it. K&N claims 10 -- ya right. LOL.

Some people believe that the plastic CAIs are better because they don't absorb as much heat. Whatever. I have yet to see any solid testing showing any differences between plastic and metal CAIs. Besides, we're not talking big numbers here, anyway.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:32 AM
alexr
★★★★★

everyone says that the aluminium pipe will warm the air because of it getting hot from the engine, but in reality, the air being sucked in is moving too fast to be effected by the heat.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:50 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

the air being sucked in is moving too fast to be effected by the heat.
exactly
Old 05-31-2006, 05:43 PM
verter2
2nd Gear Member

+10. Good catch.
ORIGINAL: ARdoller

everyone says that the aluminium pipe will warm the air because of it getting hot from the engine, but in reality, the air being sucked in is moving too fast to be effected by the heat.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:03 PM
Rook6
3rd Gear Member

Well at the very least it certainly cleans up the engine bay. I'm sure glad I got a cheapo $65 one off eBay

Quick Reply: Q about the "cold" in CAI