General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bad Batt. or Alt.?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 09:50 PM
Lennyseleven

Default RE: Bad Batt. or Alt.?

Problem is it still wont start the car. I had it charged and tested and the parts store said it was fine. So what is the recommended cranking amps?

thanks
Nick
Old 04-18-2004, 01:59 AM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

My battery is 800CCA,

In fact my 2.3's was like 640CCA i think you need a bigger battery and i couldnt tell but does your alternator charge?
Old 04-18-2004, 11:44 AM
Lennyseleven

I tried taking off the negative while it was running like someone said and it stayed running so... I guess so

Yea I noticed my 3.0 V6 in my van has higher cranking amps

thanks
Nick
Old 04-18-2004, 12:25 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

500 cca should be plenty to start the engine. check the postive cables at battery and the solenoid and the starter for a good clean connection and make sure they are tight. if the cable has a lot of corrosion at the terminals anywhere it connects to something, replace it as this kills the current flow which is not good for the high amps needed to crank the starter. worse case, the starter could be bad and drawing too many amps also and a weak battery won't turn it over fast enough to start the car.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:30 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

maybe you have a tired alt. you can't go by those sorry *** stock gauge..have the alt. tested have then but a hugh load on it.. how is the water level in the battery?

GM...how many 'puters have you bought by pulling the battery cable off?..it isn't like it used to be...
Old 04-18-2004, 07:00 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

I've done that plenty of times on mine and never had any problems. Never heard of anyone frying their computer by pulling the battery cable off, doesn't really make any sense that that would do anything bad.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:01 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

you have been lucky! the computer only needs one good voltage surge to blow its brains out, so I would not recommend removing the negative cable with the engine running to test the alternator, it ain't worth the risk to ruin a $300 computer for a $35 alternator.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:09 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

Would the voltage surge come from reconnecting the battery while it's running or disconnecting it? Also where are you gettin $35 for an alternator?[8D]
Old 04-19-2004, 03:38 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

it don't matter which way, a surge is a surge and it could get the ECU.
I think that was at Trax Auto some years ago, but being old I may have it wrong too![sm=lol.gif]
my point remains the same, it ain't worth the risk when all you need is a $10 voltmeter to check the alternator output. and that's a Pep Boys price btw.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:10 PM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

Ive done it to countless cars!

With no problems what so ever.

I disconnect the cable if the car dies i shut the key off attach the cable back and go about removing the alternator.

If it stays running ive never attatched the cable back while running that can cause the power spike you are worried about.

And Vfast we are talking a 14 year old stang here its not rocket science.

Like i said i have had no problems doing this but thats not to say theres not going to be freakish incidents happen.

Quick Reply: Bad Batt. or Alt.?