General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 09:49 PM
juniorb_41

Default Engine Swap

This is my first mustang rebuild and my 66 has a six cylinders. I wanted to put something a little more powerful in. I was looking for some advice for what to put in. I was thinking anything from a 302 to a 350. I was looking for more details about what need the least amount of modifications and im also on a short budget. Would I need to change my transmission seeing as it is only three speads or only change the gear ratio. Any help would be extremely appreciated.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:52 PM
MelloYello
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Engine Swap

Well 289, 302, 350, 351 there all good motors for that car..... New transmission will be needed, throw a T-5 in there Just about with all those motors its going to be hard work... Might as well put the best you can in while you have it torn apart.. You might have to change out the rear end too.. I think its 7.7 rear, although sometimes those rears can handle a good 350 hp....
Old 04-23-2004, 12:07 AM
Acer2428
Site Mod

350? Am I missing something?

I would say go with whatever is cheapest... THEN STROKE IT like....well... you get it. Hahaha. A storker w/ mad power in a '66 would be sweet. If you're just looking for a badass sunday driver I vote 289 or 302.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:21 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

in your area of the world and on a tight budget, I would say rebuild the 6 with an eye toward more performance out of it. this way you can keep the tranny, and you won't have to mess with changing motor mounts, radiators, front springs and brakes, rear ends, etc. to handle the weight and power of any V-8 you might want to put in there. this will cost you a whole lot less in the long run and you'll be keeping it more original which adds value when you get around to selling it later. you could always put a turbo or supercharger on it too for the extra power you want.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:42 PM
nhdungeonracer
3rd Gear Member

You could rebuild the 6 with good forged pistons, then set it up for a nitrous kit when you want some extra power []
Old 04-23-2004, 05:32 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

I'd build it up all nice and tough then build a turbo setup for it. That would be pretty cool to have in an older stang.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:39 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

That reminded me of one of the worst times I've ever had with a car. Pulling the engine on a for aerostar minivan. You couldn't see more then like a foot of the engine cause of the tiny little hood. We had to take the whole front clip off to get that thing out. Plus the tranny was a pain, one of the bolts we had to get to using two 1 1/2 to 2 foot extensions and a big lead pipe on a breaker bar. I actually twisted the ends of the extension. That was so horrible.[:'(]
Old 04-24-2004, 03:40 AM
turbinesurgeon

Ive done several 6 to v8 swaps in 65 -68 mustangs. Its not to hard actually. Seriously if you are on a budget the best way to go is to find a Granana or Monarch or Maverick with a 302 in it already. There you will have alot of what you need to do the swap. Engine, trusty C4 Trans plus a 8 inch rear which will bolt right up to your existing leaf springs, even front disc brakes, spindles and calipers will swap on your 66 for much better stopping power. Last one I swapped the donor Maverick was a 4 door I got for 250 bucks running sweet, looking ugly. It is time consuming but relax and enjoy what your creating.
Old 04-24-2004, 04:06 AM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

First of all its as simple as pulling one and putting the other in.

Second stay away from T-5's their junk!

Go with a C4 instead even a basic rebuild will be more than enough to handle anything you will throw at it.But i suggest at the minimum shift kits.

Third you already have an 8 inch rear end but its probably an open end.

And whats with everyone and this "7.7" crap?Last time people FORD NEVER MADE A 7.7 INCH REAR END!

Go with a 351 if you havent already got a donor you will love it.

Just ask if you need any info or help.
Old 04-24-2004, 04:19 PM
Mustang88LXKid
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Acer2428

350? Am I missing something?

I would say go with whatever is cheapest... THEN STROKE IT like....well... you get it. Hahaha. A storker w/ mad power in a '66 would be sweet. If you're just looking for a badass sunday driver I vote 289 or 302.
I would never stroke a 289, they are not as strong as the 302s. Cannot handle a bigger stroke....thinner cylinder walls etc...

Quick Reply: Engine Swap