General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

reliability

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 01:02 PM
FC

Default reliability

I haven't bought a Mustang yet, but I'd like to get a GT. I'm skiddish on getting a domestic vehicle due to past experiences of poor reliability of the vehicles. How do Ford's hold up after 100,000 miles? Do you all have a lot of service problems? I had a lot of electrical problems with Plymouth, and a lot of engine problems with Chevy. I really like the Mustang, and test drove a couple, but there are other sports cars out there that aren't as appealing aesthetically, but are in the same price range.
Thanks.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:04 PM
disgustipated
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: reliability

Well mine is at 119,000 miles. The engine is having problems and being replaced, but that's only because I drive it like a bat out of hell lol. I can honestly say that it would last a hell of a lot longer if driven somewhat moderately. I say definately go for the Mustang. You won't regret it
Old 06-15-2006, 05:08 PM
Valcore
3rd Gear Member

any car can have problems. My mustang has 151,000miles on it and has had a broken convertable top motor, broken light switch, the back power window motors broke, and the rear-veiw mirror has fallen of many times due to heat here in FL. Oh yeah, the fuel tank got messed up before the car was mine, but that was the only major problem. all the other ones are easy fixes.

I have heard of mustangs with way more problems than mine, and also with way less problems.
btw imports arn't exactly invincible like everyone seems to think [&:] I have seen more problems with imports than domestics. (and i mean personal experiances, not stories I read on the internet )
Old 06-15-2006, 05:20 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

"I'm skiddish on getting a domestic vehicle due to past experiences of poor reliability of the vehicles. "

if you get the stang, at least you knew what you were getting into. if you really need something
to last 200,000 miles or more with no issues i would get something else for sure. maybe a nissan
sentra or the like. get the stang but realize it will need work after 150k hard miles
Old 06-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Valcore
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron

"I'm skiddish on getting a domestic vehicle due to past experiences of poor reliability of the vehicles. "

if you get the stang, at least you knew what you were getting into. if you really need something
to last 200,000 miles or more with no issues i would get something else for sure. maybe a nissan
sentra or the like.
get the stang but realize it will need work after 150k hard miles
no get a domestic and support the USA!!!
what makes you think a nissan will last so long?
Old 06-15-2006, 06:34 PM
FC

Thanks for the replies. I do expect that if a vehicle is driven hard (like my old, fun, unreliable CJ-7 was), it will give up the ghost quicker.

After hearing a now-deceased friend, who was at one time a big drug dealer in Shreveport, LA talk about the druggies who put Chevy S-10's together in Shreveport, I'm not so quick to believe in North American vehicles. I do find the Mustangs danged near irresistable. I wanted a muscle car back in my high school days in the 70's, and now I can afford it. The American car companies really screwed themselves back in the 70's with the Vega, Luv pickup, Maverick, Volare, and AMC Ambassador. I don't forget such things quickly. My old Toyota van ran and ran.

Heck with it- I want a GT convertible! You know the wierd thing? USAA's charging nearly the same for a convertible or coupe, about $512 every 6 months.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:03 PM
Allan_York
1st Gear Member

where are you from? not this continant eh?
Old 06-15-2006, 10:05 PM
cepowers18
3rd Gear Member

My first Stang was a 94 V6 and it lasted until my sister (I gave her my V6 when I bought my GT) traded it in at 157K. It still ran like a champ. My 94 GT currently has 142K on it, and the worst problem I've had until now is the water pump. *knock on wood* As long as you treat it well, it should treat you well.