General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Snow Performance

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 03:01 AM
DoctorGooz

Default Snow Performance

Hi fellas. I've always wanted to own a Mustang, but now that I'm finally in a position to buy one, I have to move to Cleveland. Aka, "the mistake on the lake." And I'm worried that my rear-wheel drive 'Stang won't handle well in Cleveland's 50+" of annual snowfall. Anyone here have any experience with Mustangs in the snow? Any advice or inside info is much appreciated! Thanks!

Andrew
Old 06-20-2006, 03:15 AM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Snow Performance

Well, in the short time ive been on these forums, I know that snow tires are a must (all 4 tires, not just the rear ones). And i learned that extra weight in the trunk helps.

Oh, and dont drive it like you do in the summer.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:28 AM
DoctorGooz

Thanks for the reply!

So folks in the snow belt keep snow tires on their Mustangs year-round?

And I see from your ID, that you live in Buffalo, which gets almost twice as much snow as Cleveland. How is your 'stang holding up? Any major traction problems yet?
Old 06-20-2006, 02:11 PM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

Lol, heres the problem, I dont actually have a mustang yet. Sorry, didnt mean to mislead you or anything. I came to this site looking for advice on what Mustangs to look at, prices, mods, tech issues, etc.

Basically to learn a bit about the Mustang before I buy one.

I have a topic about winter driving in the General Tech part of the forums, and I've gotten some good advice. Grimace5.0 is in Erie, PA, but unlike me he has a mustang, and he said that studded tires and sandbags in the trunk would definitely help. Plus, if you get stuck, you can cut open the sandbags and use the sand for traction. But Veets44 said that he had a hell of a time trying to get out of his street with the stock tires. Definitely take a look at the topic if you get a minute. Also, Buffalo's plows are pretty well organized, but we tend to overdo the salt.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:17 PM
V8Cody
3rd Gear Member

Don't go cheap on Snow Tires if you are worried about traction. A few sand-bags in the drunk also helps a bit.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:24 PM
JenniferJ

Hi Doc,

My name is Jennifer. I'm a college student (the starving kind) and I am forced to drive my GT year around and I really can't afford snow tires. I'm living proof it can be done.

I won't lie to anyone. I get stuck a lot! But I have never spun off the road or anything like that. You just have to be really careful and learn to know your car. Hills are impossible in my car in snow. Even small ones. I get about 3/4 of the way up and I just start slipping and come to a stop. So I learn to go the other way.

Exiting from shopping centers can be rough because usually I have to stop then I'm stuck and can't get moving. What works is to stay back aways where you are not on the hilly part. Wait for the opening then spin your way through. I do this all the time. Sometimes if it's icy enough that doesn't even work and you have to find a different way out of the lot. Obviously the best advice is don't go in anywhere that you are unsure you can get out of.

Also avoid getting stopped when you can. The hardest thing for me is getting going from a dead stop. I just slip and slip and slip. It can get frustrating and a little embarrassing holding up traffic so I tend to come up slow and just keep rolling very slowly trying to judge the light then go gentle on the gas when I can go. Usually this results in my spinning my wheels but I have some momentum so I can generally keep moving and pickup speed.

Snow has not presented me much trouble unless it's over about 8 inches deep or so. In that I found the bottom of my car was snagging on the snow and slowing me down enough to get me totally stuck. That was terrible. I basically could go about 4 or 5 feet before getting stuck and having to dig myself out. So I learned a lesson that one.

Sand bags in back help. In my case I can't afford snow tires so the weight helps but if the ground is slippery I'm very likey to get stuck. I just have to becareful and pick the best route I can.

I've had two major surprises. The first was getting stuck on a ridiculous patch of ice behind work. I closed that night so I was alone and behind our restaurant was a 20 by 20 foot patch of rutted up ice. I'd driven over it probably 10 times that week alone. I backed out of my spot and when I went into drive I found myself stuck with my rear wheels making this zzzzz noise. I couldn't back up or go forward at all. I couldn't believe I was stuck on this little piddly patch of ice but I was stuck for over an hour and I didn't have sand or anything. I tried cardboard, carpets, nothing worked. I ended up having to call my g/f for a tow to get off the damn ice. That was frustrating and embarrassing that such a tiny little patch of ice could hold me so fast.

The second experience was taking a mid-term at school for 3 hours and coming out to find 2+ feet of snow on the ground. The plows were so far behind they hadn't even touched the road next to the lot I was in. I was stuck in my parking spot for the better part of an hour and some guys helped to dig me free then I got stuck about 25 times just getting to the road even with people helping to push. Once on the road I was ok unless I got stopped. I followed other peoples tracks and spun like mad when I felt my car slowing down. Everyone was stuck that day regardless of what vehicle you had.

So you will do fine in your stang in snow. Just remember it is not a snow cat and you must learn how it drives. It will fishtail and be squirrely but if you keep it under control you'll be ok. Having traction aids in the trunk will help alot. If you can afford and use studded tires in the rear then do so. I can't afford them. I remember being stuck trying to make a right turn out of a gas station in some chewed up snow. A guy in a Mustang with snow tires went right around me without even spinning his wheels. So they really do help.

Jen
Old 07-06-2006, 03:58 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

I always keep a bit of salt and traction sand in my winter vehicle (Explorer 4x4) for the icy hills. It'd definitely help with a Mustang. Also, keep a ****** rope in your trunk and know where to tie it to in case you do get stuck and someone with a 4x4 happens along.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:54 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

... I'm a college student (the starving kind) and I am forced to drive my GT year around and I really can't afford snow tires...
Wow that's some story, & sounds like you REALLY could use snows on your car worse than some other people I know

But, "can't afford snow tires" doesn't really make sense. The thing is, if you swap your summer tires for snows in the winter, that makes the summer tires last longer so it's not like it's really costing you anything extra to have winter tires. And snows make a phenomial difference in traction! I'd always recommend getting really good (mucho $'s) snow tires if you live in an area that gets hit by winter hard, but if you can't cough up a lot of dough then at least get a couple cheapo snows for the rear. It really is better than summers/nothing.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:34 AM
driver187
2nd Gear Member

my guess is cleveland ohio right? I drive my stang year round and dont run snows in the winter but i also dont drive it like i do in the summer and dont put weight in mine. Mine is also an auto so that might help it alittle bit and i drove it through my parking lot at work after we got hit with enough snow that it was halfway up the rims on the car and didnt get stuck,and there where people in front wheel drives and 4x4's getting stuck apperently because they didnt know how to drive in
I live in Indiana so if that helps you any just take it nice and easy and you'll be ok. If i could afford it though i would definetly get snows on the rear for winter but i cant afford those let alone 4 of them. Just drive with some sence and your ok
Old 07-06-2006, 01:17 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

im in massachussets, my stang is driven year round, no snow tires, oh and i dont know about everyone else, but i turn the traction control off i personally feel safer, worst situation is when you go to correct a fish tail and you cant cause the timing has been retarded[:@]

Quick Reply: Snow Performance