General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

HELP

Old 05-02-2004, 11:34 PM
Monty
2nd Gear Member

Default HELP

Ok i didnt know where to post this, since its a lil of everything (apreance,performance,and pipes) so natrually i decided off topic.

If you have read my other post youd know i just ordered the pi head swap. So with a lil performance out of the way, i went ahead and jumped into the looks deparment. And swaped out my stock 16's for 17 inch cobra's. This is where the problem started. The cobras are awsome but dont give the exact look i wanted. So now i cant decided weather to buy springs to get the look. Or go with pipes to get the ever so desired sound of the 4.6.

The reason this is a problem is because after this i wont be able to mod my car for a few months so ethier of these 2 will be the last for a bit. But i want my car being awsome for a graduation trip and partys at the beach. ANd from what i know the springs will all but ruin my laucnh. that pretty much makes the heads almost pointless (no sense having power if i cant get it to the ground)

ANY opinions will be apprecaited.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:01 AM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

Default RE: HELP

I'd go with exhuast over springs. Get a nice cat-back, whatever company you like the best.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:22 AM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

I agree get exhaust.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:36 AM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

def get the springs....4x4 mustangs suck ***
Old 05-03-2004, 02:59 PM
Monty
2nd Gear Member

your not lying about the 4x4......my brothers truck is lower than my car.

But my friend was reving his stang this morning and daamn it sounds nice.
ill take a other look at my finances and see whats up.(since exhaust is about $300 extra)

Are the springs really that bad on the laucnh??????
Old 05-03-2004, 11:39 PM
nhdungeonracer
3rd Gear Member

Do you want to give up performance to have a cool "look"? Sounds like rice thinking to me. If the stock springs out-perform lowered springs when launching, then for me, it's a no-brainer. Get the exhaust, and free up more hp.

I'll tell you my experience with stiff springs. When I got my Stang, it came with Eibach Sportline springs on front, with the stock ones in the rear. It even had the Lakewood drag front struts (yeah, weird combo). Seems the guy before me wanted the lowered front end look. Well, he had it, but boy, did the ride ever suck. At the strip, the best 60' time I could get was a 2.225, and the best 1/4 mile time was 14.952. I removed the springs and struts, and put the originals back in. I didn't even get a 1/4 mile down the road, and I could already feel a big difference in the ride (I live on a dirt road). Way better!! Back to the strip, and on my 3rd run, I nailed a 2.152 60' time, and a 14.739 1/4 mile time. I have gotten 2.1 60' times 3 times now, so I know the difference is in the front springs. I'm getting way better weight transfer off the line. For what I'm doing, driving around and drag-racing (and sounds like you do as well), the lower and stiffer springs suck. In fact, mine are for sale in the parts section.
I have the Lakewood struts for sale as well, but I might try them if no one buys them. I'm just worried what kind of a ride they're going to give on the street.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:42 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nhdungeonracer

Do you want to give up performance to have a cool "look"? Sounds like rice thinking to me. If the stock springs out-perform lowered springs when launching, then for me, it's a no-brainer. Get the exhaust, and free up more hp.

I'll tell you my experience with stiff springs. When I got my Stang, it came with Eibach Sportline springs on front, with the stock ones in the rear. It even had the Lakewood drag front struts (yeah, weird combo). Seems the guy before me wanted the lowered front end look. Well, he had it, but boy, did the ride ever suck. At the strip, the best 60' time I could get was a 2.225, and the best 1/4 mile time was 14.952. I removed the springs and struts, and put the originals back in. I didn't even get a 1/4 mile down the road, and I could already feel a big difference in the ride (I live on a dirt road). Way better!! Back to the strip, and on my 3rd run, I nailed a 2.152 60' time, and a 14.739 1/4 mile time. I have gotten 2.1 60' times 3 times now, so I know the difference is in the front springs. I'm getting way better weight transfer off the line. For what I'm doing, driving around and drag-racing (and sounds like you do as well), the lower and stiffer springs suck. In fact, mine are for sale in the parts section.
I have the Lakewood struts for sale as well, but I might try them if no one buys them. I'm just worried what kind of a ride they're going to give on the street.
coil overs
Old 05-04-2004, 12:44 AM
fuzi0nz
2nd Gear Member

[/quote]
Ok i didnt know where to post this, since its a lil of everything (apreance,performance,and pipes) so natrually i decided off topic.
lol isnt this the general tech forum?
Old 05-04-2004, 06:34 PM
Monty
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: c0bra
lol isnt this the general tech forum?
[/quote]

yeah ....it started in the off topic then got moved..........
Old 05-04-2004, 06:37 PM
Monty
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nhdungeonracer

that well that defiantly answer my quesiton i dont want to sacifice that much time. I was hoping they whould only have a minamal effect..........what if i got some long front springs with very soft spring rate. that way they will sit low but when i launch will still give me good wieght transfer??????????????????

Search this Thread