General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Quick console question..

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 11:37 AM
davidg32

Default Quick console question..

Just bought a '93 Mustang...not a fancy one...just an LX Hatchback with a 4-cylinder...but it's my first Mustang and have wanted one for some time. It's in decent shape, though it has a few miles on it.
I'm wanting to clean up the console a little, and fix a couple of little things. (The ashtray/lighter door, etc.) I've got the armrest off, but I can't see how to remove the other parts. I just want to get the armrest base off, and to remove the part that the parking brake pokes up through. (Don't need to remove the stuff around the gear shift nor the entire console frame/base that attaches to the dash and contains the radio.)
Can anybody give me any tips on how to do this? It looks like it would just have a couple of little plastic tabs here and there that you'd unsnap...but I don't want to go poking around with a screwdriver unless I KNOW where to poke. Would hate to break some of this plastic stuff...more trouble than it's worth if you do.
I realize this is just minor cosmetic stuff...and it's hardly a new car....but it's a Mustang, and deserves to look as good as I can get it to.
Any suggestions, advice will be greatly appreciated.
Warm regards,
David Gardner
Old 05-06-2004, 01:54 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Quick console question..

I took the console out of my 88 recently and it is a one piece assembly after you remove the "armrest" thing. there are bolts hidden underneath some plastic tabs on both side at the back, and more bolts up front on the sides near the radio but they are hidden underneath parts of the dash that have to be removed first to get access to them to remove them. there are also some more bolts on top underneath the pop out covers. if you really don't have to remove it to clean it up, I would advise you remove the seats instead to get full access to the console and clean it in place. the seats only have 4 bolts each and are easier to remove than the console is.