General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Cheap tweaks

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 12:47 AM
dubie76

Default Cheap tweaks

I just got a 2004 Mustang GT. I am new to the Mustang world and would like to know if there are any cheap upgrades out there to add horsepower. I do not race, and I do not want to spend $3000 on a supercharger, but would love to have a little more. Let me know any of your suggestions.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:27 AM
RollinThunder
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Cheap tweaks

modding cars is not a cheap hobby believe me..I cant belive how much I've spent already cuz its just not the parts that u buy its also the labor that u have to pay to get them installed unless u kno how to do that by urself...

but I some little things that u could do 2 ur car r bigger MAF differant air filter, exhaust (if u wanna do that cheap just get a catback) those r some things that dont cost that much but like I said its still not cheap
Old 05-07-2004, 01:28 AM
RollinThunder
3rd Gear Member

Old 05-07-2004, 02:24 AM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

Exhuast is a good first step, and remember, it's mustang forums, not mustang world
Old 05-07-2004, 05:55 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

putting in some lower rear gears will not add any power but it will make the power you have much more fun to use, 3.73 gears will really wake up an automatic and 3.55 gears work good in a 5 speed. gears installed may run you $500-600 depending on where you get them installed.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:54 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

Acutally roundman, on a 99+GT 4.10 are the gear to get the trannies are geared much taller than Fox bodies. most people go with 3.73 and some are disappointed. don't fear the gear 4.10s are nice!
Old 05-08-2004, 02:04 AM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: roundmanracing

3.55 gears work good in a 5 speed
your kidding, right?
Old 05-08-2004, 05:16 AM
Marc_03GT
1st Gear Member

The problem with 4.10 is you basicly loose 1st gear except for racing and even thgen its mostly gone. Not to mention if you drive on the highway alot (your RPM's are higher at the same speed with these gears). I wouldn't go over 3.73 if I was using it as a daily driver. But hey, everyone likes different things...personaly I would do the intake then exhast and then save for a supercharger (if you just HAVE to do the cheep stuff first).
The thing is after you buy a full exhast, intake and gears you will have spent almost (if not more than) what a supercharger costs and you won't be anywhere near as fast as if you had just gotten the supercharger. Honestly I would just take the silencer off (its a free mod) and put a K&N air filter (I want to say about $50) in there and then save for a super.

-Marc
Old 05-13-2004, 02:28 AM
BigDaddy

what silencer? just curious

the supercharger idea has me thinkin now..i told myself i wasnt going to mod my cobra, (its a 99) but im thinkin what the hell....

can you simply slap a supercharger on a cobra motor with little worry of losing the bottom end of the motor, or do you need to rebuild the motor bullet proof first...what do you guys think the limit is on HP before you start to strain stuff too much...shooting for 410-430, is that achieveable with a supercharger and retaining the motor in its stock form? I too was going to do pipes n stuff, but i would rather keep that stuff stock n go with a supercharger...
Old 05-13-2004, 01:02 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

First of all, the whole "don't go with 4.10's" argument by Marc is completely off base. You should listen to SilverGTV8. The stock gears in the 4.6's are 3.27's. Going to a 3.55 is a complete waste. I have a 2002 GT and I have 4.10's, and I can tell you I use first gear as much as I used to when the stock gears were there. I cruise on the interstate at 75mph at 2600 rpm. I can ignite all of 1st, 2nd, part of third and bark 4th gear at 75mph with the stock tires on. I can start off in 4th gear from a dead stop if I wanted to. I shift from 1st at about 15 mph usually.

As far as exhaust goes, I have full exhaust (long-tube headers, off-road pro-chamber h-pipe, magnaflow cat-back). I spent $850.00 for everything off ebay. Add that to the cost of the 4.10's ($150.00) and you've spent 1k + installation (did it myself of course). Compare that to the 4k cost of a supercharger (by the time you add in the new injectors, fuel pump, and chip you will need to go along with it) + installation and you can decide what would bet for you. I can promise you one thing though, if you get the supercharger you WILL want to get exhaust and a gear change (maybe 3.73's though with all that power you wont need as much torque multiplication).

Bottom line is, especially if you dont have an endless supply of money (like most of us), go with the best bang for the buck. Thats what I did. Exhaust first (cause its not a mustang unless it sounds mean right?), 4.10 gears, I just bought and am installing right now upper and lower rear control arms (to addresss my traction problems hehe), steeda springs (for looks and handling), nitto 555r drag radials in the rear (traction problems), slotted and drilled front rotors and good pads (for stopping - man mustangs suck at stopping). At any rate, thanks for reading my essay.

Quick Reply: Cheap tweaks