General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

VERY WORRIED. Please Read.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 10:24 PM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

Default VERY WORRIED. Please Read.

I was coming home tonight with a buddy of mine and as i was going down a hill he asked me to rev the engine. its an auto so he knew i would hafta put it in N to rev it so he decided to do it himself and he threw it into reverse. The car started to skid down the hill so i threw it into drive as fast as i could. I noticed that the engine was off and the service engine soon light was on so i pulled off and put the car in park. the check engine light went away, then air bag light came on and went away. I started the car again and drove the rest of the way home without any problem. There seemed to be a rotten egg smell for a few seconds once i started the car again but it went away. DID I F*** UP THE CAR? PLEASE HELP!
Old 05-11-2004, 10:39 PM
nhdungeonracer
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: VERY WORRIED. Please Read.

Nice "buddy" you have there. I wouldn't be giving him any more rides, that's for sure. [:@] In fact, I would have booted him out on the spot. Anyways......

I'm gonna guess the check engine light came on because the engine stalled, so you were on a "key on, engine off" mode. Kinda like when you go to start your car, but stop the key just before start, all the lights in the dash come on at that point.

For the rotten egg, I would guess maybe when your "buddy" put it in reverse, it must have made a jerk, which may have knocked some stuff loose in the cat converter. Then when you started the car again, it blew the loose stuff out, which smelled like rotten egg.

If you ever have any problems with your tranny though, I would be looking at your "buddy" to foot the bill. People should pay for when they do dumb things.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:44 PM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

It was driving like normal after i started it again so do you think i didnt do too much damage or would i know if i did? should i be looking for any signs that would come up if i have messed up the tranny.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:53 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

Ouch.... I can hear the panic in your voice.......and you type = bad

Just go to a mechanic have them check it out and send the bill to your "friend." Had someone do that to me in my Dad's car, except it didn't go into R...or should I say ex-friend......

ANYONE who endangers your life like that isn't worth having as a friend. If he's a 1/2 decent guy he'll foot the bill
Old 05-11-2004, 11:23 PM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

Im sure he is a 1/2 decent guy but he is 17 and im sure money isnt something he has a lot of, just like me.

If you had to guess to how much a garage would charge to check it out please tell.

Also, I just checked under the car and there is a clear liquid dripping from the upper right cat. im sure its related, but hopefully its nothing serious.

Any help would be great. Thanks
Old 05-11-2004, 11:30 PM
RAWLX
1st Gear Member

I would have been pissed at the guy!

My guess would be like $100. Im not very sure though. Try calling a place. Do NOT let them rip you off though.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:32 PM
Monty
2nd Gear Member

man im sure its just condensation from your a/c

mine drops right on my cat and sizzles (96 gt)
Old 05-12-2004, 01:07 AM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

Man, first reach over and smack your friend in the back of the head. Then get it checked out and send him the bill.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:15 AM
WS6speeDemon
3rd Gear Member

I remember when I first got my GT and I took a friend for a ride. She had to touch EVERYTHING and press EVERY button and turn the radio ALL THE WAY UP. Then look through my console. Finally after trailing her every move I was like STOP, WTF are you DOING![:@] JEEZ! I was like, CHILL, listen to how nice it sounds and the pop it makes when I downshift and lets go run it up, I don't like looking at my RPMs when I run up my car but when the radio is blasting and one cannot HEAR them.... have I said enough? NO ONE touches my car and you will lose your hand if you touch the radio.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:14 AM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

Damn straight, I can't imagine what someone would be thinking to shift when they're not driving, that's just plain numb. As for a clear liquid it's probably condensation, nothing in a car that's clear to leak. Have a shop check it out, find a good reputable place. You could always go talk to a dealer and see if they know anyting specific this could have messed up.

Quick Reply: VERY WORRIED. Please Read.