General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Need some serious help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 12:41 AM
mbliss

Default Need some serious help!!!

I have a 92 GT 5.0 5 speed, when it warms up or about 10 miles which ever comes first, the engine starts bucking and jerking really bad. Sometimes it will stall when idling. Seems to act worse when I press down on the gas. I have changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, map sensor, tfi module, plugs/wires, ignition coil and the coolant temp. sensor... Running out of ideas! And I don't want to get robbed at a shop! I know that it has to be something small... Any help or advise from here would be great.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:18 AM
WS6speeDemon
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Need some serious help!!!

NEVERMIND! I read somethig else, i dunno... I was going to say the plugs, but then i just now saw that, i skim sometimes, sorry! Ok what about the umm crank position sensor? or is it called the cam position sensor, jeez this stuff gets complicated but maybe that will spark some help.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:23 AM
RollinThunder
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mbliss

I have a 92 GT 5.0 5 speed, when it warms up or about 10 miles which ever comes first, the engine starts bucking and jerking really bad. Sometimes it will stall when idling. Seems to act worse when I press down on the gas. I have changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, map sensor, tfi module, plugs/wires, ignition coil and the coolant temp. sensor... Running out of ideas! And I don't want to get robbed at a shop! I know that it has to be something small... Any help or advise from here would be great.
that happens to my car sometime...only it never stalls when idling...I have no clue as to what it could b thou ...
Old 05-12-2004, 04:08 AM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

Are you getting spark fine? If so it's probably a fuel problem. Clogged injectors? Couldn't hurt to check the output on your TPS.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:52 PM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

Ever smell gas? You said it does it after it warms up, which tells me it culd be a couple of things. One is your fuel/air mixture, controlled by your MAF. Disconnect the MAF and see if it goes away. The other thing could be a leaking head gasket. I had a Chevette one time that the head gasket only leaked after it got warm. Go figure.

Just remember it is associated with temperature of the engine...there only so many things it could be.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:52 PM
mbliss

Nope no smell of gas. Disconnected the MAF, same problem. How would I check the TPS? Anyone wanna buy a Mustang!!!
Old 05-12-2004, 07:03 PM
dghost22
1st Gear Member

I had a very similar problem with my 86gt. I tried everything. It turned out to be the pickup coil in the distributor. I will warn you. It is easier just to buy a new distributor than to replace the pickup coil. Hope this helps. Good luck
Old 05-12-2004, 09:35 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

There's three wires coming out of the TPS, probe the green one with the positive lead and ground the negative on a multimeter. With the throttle closed it should read around .97-.99 volts. Probably not the problem but worth a try. To adjust it you just need to loosen the screws and pivot the sensor, I have to make the hole for the left/rear screw longer with my dremel to get it to read that high.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:46 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

after changing all those parts, you really need to take it to a shop and have them run a diagnostic test on it to see what really is the matter with it before you spend a fortune on parts that aren't bad. just changing parts ***** nilly without any idea what is wrong is costing you a lot more than a diagnostic test would have cost you in the first place. once they tell you what's wrong, then you can get the parts and fix it yourself in a lot of cases.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:12 AM
mbliss

I agree completely, only problem is that I'm in Hawaii! No where else to take it but a couple of local shops that will rob the hell out of me!!! I ran the codes with my self diagnostic reader and it's 1-1, 1-1-1 system pass....

Quick Reply: Need some serious help!!!