General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

throttle body and smog question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 09:56 PM
lift350

Default throttle body and smog question

i just bought a 1995 gt with some motor work done. this is my first muscle car so i dont know much about mustangs. i went to get it smoged because this is a CA car and the said it wont pass because of the throttle body. the throttle body is a 70mm bbk is this smog legal? the also said the fuel evaporater canister is missing. where is this located on the car? the people i bought it from said it is on the car. also has high flow catalytic converters are these legal?
Old 05-20-2004, 10:43 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

Default RE: throttle body and smog question

Yes......... I have no idea.........and Yes.

Sorry I can't be more help.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:19 PM
white93 GT
2nd Gear Member

the fuelevaporater canister is in the front engine compartment in the very front on the passenger side. it has two tubes on the top. thats all i know
Old 05-21-2004, 01:33 AM
lift350

thank you for your help
Old 05-21-2004, 02:31 PM
MelloYello
4th Gear Member

I wouldnt think that 70mm would fail a smog test..... Unless your MAF just freaked out or something and sent more fuel in than needed..... But the throttle body should be fine.... Your cats should be ok too, what kind are they? High flow cats are usually still 50 state legal for smog testing..... the Canister is located at the front the engine towards the pass side or sometimes there down on the frame rail, it may be still there and the hoses arent hooked up, there will be a fuel line running out then a hose that runs to the CANP (its a smaller solenoid) then up to the intake manifold... So check the hoses...
Old 05-21-2004, 02:52 PM
lift350

they never tried to smog it, i took it there they opened the hood and did not see the canister so they said it will not pass without that. then they saw the tb and said they thought it might be race only. you said the canister could be on the frame rail, where on the frame rail? as for the converters i have no idea what kind they are.
Old 05-22-2004, 02:28 AM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

I have a real question, what the hell does race only mean, it's so vauge and doesn't really seem to mean anything anymore. Just seems like something people say to sound smart. Same thing with "custom" that is supposed to mean just that, not a premade aftermarket part for your type of car. But anyways, just look for the canister (should be rectangular) down on the right side. I wouldn't worry about the cats, get the canister squared away and take it back and have them try the smog on it.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:20 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

race only = off-road only = not street legal
Old 05-22-2004, 02:04 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

I know that I just mean people call way too many things race only that aren't really but are just performance.
Old 05-22-2004, 07:48 PM
MelloYello
4th Gear Member

If its on the frame rail itll be on pass side at the front.... And your throttle body should more than pass a test.... If you still have cats on the stang those should be fine also.... Guess you wont know till they test ya lol

Thats why I love NM no smog checks lol

If the canister is not on the frame either youll have to go pick one up at FOrd or a local parts store, while your at it look through a manual for your year of stang and it should give you picture diagrams so you have a better idea of what your looking for

Mello

Quick Reply: throttle body and smog question