General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

help me guys.

Old 05-26-2004, 08:26 PM
dustinpolcz
2nd Gear Member

Default help me guys.

i just got back from ford and asked about installation on my aftermarket springs. first off (and i quote all things this guy said to me) he says "why the hell would anyone think about lowering a mustang?" and i just laughed and asked how much it would cost and so on. and he calls a mech into the office and some other guy and the mech says "you're better off just putting some 18's on their bc if you lower it you're gonna mess up yer tires, i've seen it happen and it's not worth it. what you gota v-8?" yea "well it's really not worth it and after the realignment and adjusting you're really gonna regret it bc yer gonna need new tires" and the other guy (that was called into the office) says "yea, you're going to have to get the lined up afterwords and pretty much everything redone" they said it would take about a total of 4 hours, he said it was an "out of the ball park answer, it will probably take longer and our service charge is $65 an hour"
are these guys just full of ish or am i going to have to do more than just swap the springs out?? and what the hockypucks is up with the whole tire deal, am i looking at hurting my tires??? what the hell is going on bc i already got the damn springs and it's pissing me off. someone who knows anything about this please, please help me out here bc i don't want to be in any kind of a bind. please help - dustin
Old 05-26-2004, 08:33 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: help me guys.

Their kinda full of **** and kinda not. If you go much more than a 1.25 - 1.5" drop then your gonna need caster/camber plates installed to set the alignment straight - and your gonna need an alignment reguardless. You wont need new tires haha lol their full of ****, not unless you don't get an alignment within a couple weeks and you keep driving without doing it.

Basically what I mean is, you will need an alignment afterwards, but wait a week or two so the springs settle fully first. Depending on how far you drop, you may or may not need C&C plates installed to get the alignment correct. A spring install will take less than an hour + alignment cost.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:35 PM
dustinpolcz
2nd Gear Member

i had the feeling they were after my money. it's a 1.5 in drop. i feel stupid asking but i don't bc i'm learning, what exactly do CC plates do? and whats specail about the new ones i put on?
Old 05-26-2004, 08:38 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

you can only adjust caster and camber so much, and with a low drop you need more help to get it aligned properly. With a 1.5" drop you may or may not need them, depends on the brand and type (all 1.5's do not actually drop 1.5"). Personally, I think 1.5" is pretty much perfect for your stang. Ive got about 1.5" on mine (Steeda Sport and I didnt use the top insulator) and I dont need C&C's
Old 05-26-2004, 08:40 PM
dustinpolcz
2nd Gear Member

they're bbk specific rate springs and i just found a bbk adjustable cc plate kit, if i need it how will i for sure know i need it and would that be what i should get?
Old 05-26-2004, 10:26 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

ask someone else that have the same springs. I dont know anyone whos used those. if it were me I'd just slap them on and if I need them later then I'd order them, but if you're paying for an install it would be best to be sure - and if you need them to have them done at the same time (It will be cheaper that way). You can always call BBK and see what they recommend - although they may try to just talk you into another sale.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:20 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Its really reassuring to hear all this. Im dropping mine down 1.5" friday and this is just what I needed to hear. Thanks a lot there MDvaldosta!
Old 05-28-2004, 12:05 AM
dustinpolcz
2nd Gear Member

i got the springs in the mail today and they'll be on the car saturday, i'll start a new post and i'll get pics of the new springs, the new compared with the stock and what the car looks like slammed with bbk 1.5" specific rate springs. thanks alot man