General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Timing, Mods, & Year

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 03:53 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Timing, Mods, & Year

for starters, the mods you're running have nothing to do with the octane rating you need to be using. The octane rating you need depends on your cylinder pressure, which on a naturally aspirated car is all in the compression ratio. Of all the mods he did, none of them changed the compression ratio. If you start running an octane higher than you need, then your not gonna fully burn your fuel mixture - meaning less power.

And of course you can run 10's with stock timing, **** advancing the timing is only worth maybe 10 horsepower in most all cases.

Oh, and obsolete show me what they guy says about his timing and his mods, I wanna look at it
Old 05-28-2004, 04:02 PM
WNDSOR
2nd Gear Member

the faster you get air in and out is how you make power, to ignite that spark you need a higher octane fuel to burn faster, if 93 octane is too high for a mustang, something is wrong
Old 05-28-2004, 04:15 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

you've got a misperception of what octane is. the octane rating does not have anything to do with the quality of the fuel or how much power the fuel produces - it is the result of a formula used to calculate a fuels resistance to detonation. The higher the octane rating, the harder it is to ignite.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:26 PM
WNDSOR
2nd Gear Member

yeah your right, my bad, tko!
Old 05-28-2004, 04:33 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

ok
heres the conversation we had in our guestbook things over @ Cardomains.com
And here's his mods taken straight from his page:

Mods: Mac unequal headers, Mac 2.5 exhaust, Ported & Polished heads, GT40P intake manifold, x cam, K&N intake filter, 4.10 rear end, & some little fuel mods. Unfortunetly, I can only do around 100mph 4.10 & C4 trans .

Obsol3te: 330hp with just those mods listed?
Stock heads too?
Bleh, if thats the case. Mine must be 330+...
Clean car though, considering your steering wheel over the stock 92 one .

And just hittin ya back for lookin at my car.

sox4130: I may have to try to get a cowl hood ... & the 330hp was an estimate based on 4 people's quotes: 1)"well over 300" 2)"around 340" 3)"320-330" 4)"I want one"
but have you tried turning your distributor all the way to the radiator hose & running 93 octane w/ octane boost? It's like a night/day difference. I can turn it away from the hose & it feels like 150-170hp & turn it up to the hose & it feels like 340-360hp unfortunetly, I can't run it that high & afford the gas & octane boost. Can't tell for sure though until a dyno test. I'll let you know if I get it tested. Thanks

Obsol3te: So you're going ATDC? or BTDC?
and what # you bringing it up to?

Havn't tried Octane Boost yet, sounds like somethin I'd want though.

sox4130: Not sure, I just turned it clockwise as far as I could get it on 89oct. gas before it started knocking. I'm not sure if it will do a great deal on your engine with that cam. You could try it though. The cam in mine will take as much as I can give it.

Obsol3te: Hrmm, going to the upper rad hose...
Thats some high timing deg.
Prolly like 40-50º...
a bit too far for me, I'll ask around tho. Not gonna try it without doing anything harsh to it.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:42 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

the guy doesn't know what hes doing, hes a desktop racer. either he don't know whats he pointing at the radiator hose, his ignition module? Don't pay him any attention, just do your own thing - your far more intelligent than him
Old 05-28-2004, 05:25 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

so what you're suggesting is 93 isnt good for my car and i should switch to 91/89?
Old 05-28-2004, 05:34 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

You should use the lowest octane you can run without detonation. It should be 87 still, but as cars get mileage usually carbon buildup on the piston and the combusion chamber increases the compression ratio slightly - and may require you to run 89. Also, if your a/f ratio is lean (it can get lean when you start adding alot of power over stock without increasing the fuel pressure to go along with the increased airflow) it may cause some detonation as well.

If your car is tuned properly and in good shape you shouldnt need anymore than 87. If you get any pinging the go up to 89, and if it still pings then go to 91 then 93. Now if you start increasing your ignition timing, that is going raise cylinder pressure so your gonna need to increase your octane.

If I were you I would keep the 93 in and increase your ignition timing until you start hearing pinging when you get on it in 3rd gear, then back it down just enough to make the pinging go away. Make sure you disc the spout connector and use a timing light to set the ignition timing.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:35 PM
WNDSOR
2nd Gear Member

i dont think so, what md is saying makes sense, but 93 is still going to help you not hurt, your car can burn that no problem. and if it can burn higher octane, than by god i would use it!
Old 05-28-2004, 05:37 PM
WNDSOR
2nd Gear Member

by the way, i wrote my comment before i saw what you wrote^^^, i wasnt saying no way to your post

Quick Reply: Timing, Mods, & Year