General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

real rough running

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 04:12 PM
biglstang

Default real rough running

well guys im new to the forum and i tried a search and came up empty handed. my father has a 94 mustang gt with the 5.0 high output engine. i recently wrecked my 92 taurus sho in and freak accident. but my father said once he can get his car fixed that he will hand it over to me so i have a car for school. problem is, a few months ago he decided to get his plugs and wires changed. the guy who did it also took the runners off and sprayed everything with compressed air to clean them. about a week later the car started running reeeeal rough. like it shakes pretty violently, especially noticed while on the instide and the steering wheel is bouncing all over and things are rattling a little. also u can see the exhaust moving probably more than it should. question is....is there any way to run a diagnostics test. or can anyone possibly narrow the problem. i mean i know the description is vauge and there are like a 1000 different things it could be. we were thinking maybe fuel injector, maybe a spark problem from a bad wire, if it was like a busted piston/ring wouldnt there be all kinds of smoke. any ideas
Old 07-28-2006, 05:17 PM
Tony65
1st Gear Member

Default RE: real rough running

It's not uncommon for people to get lazy and not look into wire positions. it might be worth getting a layout for wire paths. That can happen if pistons aren't firing in proper order...or at all in some cases.

As far as diagnostics checks, as far as i know there wouldn't be any logs on a computer from a car of that year. i want to say the typical diagnostic checks you can get at autozone started around '96 and up. FORTUNATELY, most mechanics in shops don't act like doctors and charge you when they can't figure out the problem. It may just be worth going to a gas station mechanic if you have one in your area and see if he'll take a look at it, if he wants to charge you for it...go somewhere else.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:24 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default RE: real rough running

When the mechanic did the tuneup what brand parts did he use??? If its anything but motorcraft, it can cause a misfire. ive had it happen. Id pull the plugs, 1 check the brand and 2 look at the electrodes. The ceramic part of the electrode should be a tan color, sometimes itll be lighter, more of an off white. Also, make sure that your cap rotor and wires are also motorcraft. If not have em replaced with FACTORY parts.
Is the check engine light on? If so take it to auto zone and have them scan it. It could also be bad gas. on stock cars itll make the car run REALLY rough, on suped up cars with high compression it can cause the car not to start, or stall out a lot, had that happen too.
Couple of ideas.
-P.