General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help Needed Replacing Electric Window Motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 05:07 PM
mf3156
1st Gear Member

Default Help Needed Replacing Electric Window Motor

I thought the hard part would of been getting the door panel off on my 2003 Mustang GT, but it basically lifts right off.

However, once I got the driver-side panel off, it appears there's no easy way to extract & replace the motor.

What's the secret to extracting the motor out? Do you have to remove the entire glass window assembly?

I'd appreciate any advice ... thanks!

Old 08-07-2006, 01:01 PM
mf3156
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Help Needed Replacing Electric Window Motor

I successfully (and easily) replaced my power window motor.

Steps:

1.) The first step is to isolate the fact that the motor is the problem. I put my volt tester leads in the plug of the wire leading to the motor. Check to see if you get 12 volts up to this point when the window switch is pressed.

2.) Support the window (if it's in the up position). Note though that I had keep repositioning this support in attempts to get the scissor assembly to a desired position. This is where it's good to have someone help by occasionally supporting the window.

3.) Unbolt (2 bolts) the lower slide rail to disengage the lower arm. This rail is right in the middle of the access opening.

4.) Unbolt (2 bolts) the scissor assembly tension housing. This in the middle of the door.

5.) Unbolt (3 bolts) the power motor from the scissor assembly. There should be 1/2" access holes in the door panel.

It was from this point that I tried to fish by hand the new motor onto the gear. Since it was such a tight fit, I realized that there had to be an easier way. Thus I decided the upper arm needed to slide out from the upper rail to free-up and allow the entire scissor assembly to slide far enough to the left (driver side door) to the access opening to enable you then put the new motor onto the gear.

4.) MY CRITICAL STEP!!! The upper slide rail has a tiny positive metal stop to prevent the upper arm guide from sliding too far. This little metal stop needs to be tapped back slightly to enable the upper arm guide to slide completely off the upper rail.

Reassemble ...