General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

gtech-pro???

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 02:56 AM
CTXpitcher09
2nd Gear Member

Default gtech-pro???

anyone ever use the gtehc-pro. does it work.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:57 AM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

Default RE: gtech-pro???

its a piece of junk. I know a few people with them and they say its cool but they are so innacurate.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:27 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: MustangChris04

its a piece of junk. I know a few people with them and they say its cool but they are so innacurate.
+1
Old 08-07-2006, 07:33 PM
paco_pony
2nd Gear Member

I have one and think it's pretty cool.

As far as the accuracy is concerned, depends on what you are measuring. time to speed (0-60) and the dyno feature are not very accurate.

but time to distance (60 ft, 1/8, 1/4) are supposed to be within +/- .01 seconds, which is pretty damn good. as long as it's calibrated good (meaning it reads ~ 0 G's when mounted) it should give accurate results.

not a bad little toy for $200 bucks
Old 08-07-2006, 08:57 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

They state in the instructions an on their web site to not compare the results to what you see in a magazine and explain why. They are indeed very accurate, assuming they are calibrated correctly. The differences seen between a track and any g-meter will be due to how the meter is set up to account for roll-out. Roll-out on a track will vary from race to race depending on how deep you stage. Since you're not a pro, that difference can have a huge impact when comparing to the static roll-out provided by a g-meter.

The horsepower feature will also be fairly accurate, but cannot be compared to a dyno for obvious reasons, unless your dyno can factor in aerodynamic and road losses.

The physics behind a g-meter is very simple (Force = Mass*Acceleration, where mass is entered, acceleration is what the g-meter measures, and force is calculated and translated into power) and good accelerometers are very cheap. G-Tech uses three perpendicular accels to cancel out the mounting angles, and the pitch can be adjusted to account for a vehicles attitude during launch. This is explained in detail in the instructions.

For the money, I'd say get one. Just read the instructions and know what the comparison limitations are.

ORIGINAL: CTXpitcher09

Old 08-07-2006, 10:28 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

They state in the instructions an on their web site to not compare the results to what you see in a magazine and explain why. They are indeed very accurate, assuming they are calibrated correctly. The differences seen between a track and any g-meter will be due to how the meter is set up to account for roll-out. Roll-out on a track will vary from race to race depending on how deep you stage. Since you're not a pro, that difference can have a huge impact when comparing to the static roll-out provided by a g-meter.

The horsepower feature will also be fairly accurate, but cannot be compared to a dyno for obvious reasons, unless your dyno can factor in aerodynamic and road losses.
The physics behind a g-meter is very simple (Force = Mass*Acceleration, where mass is entered, acceleration is what the g-meter measures, and force is calculated and translated into power) and good accelerometers are very cheap. G-Tech uses three perpendicular accels to cancel out the mounting angles, and the pitch can be adjusted to account for a vehicles attitude during launch. This is explained in detail in the instructions.

For the money, I'd say get one. Just read the instructions and know what the comparison limitations are.

As a matter of fact Mustang Dynos can. As a person who goes to the track a lot I tend to view them as not accurate, the main reason being that the numbers cannot be compared to cars that run at the track. I have used them (both versions) and seen them be dead on one pass and then an entire second off on the very next run, and this was at the track and we did make sure it was set up correctly. In the end they are a toy , and might be fun to play with, but don't quote thier time as what your car actually runs
Old 08-07-2006, 11:08 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

As a matter of fact Mustang Dynos can. As a person who goes to the track a lot I tend to view them as not accurate, the main reason being that the numbers cannot be compared to cars that run at the track. I have used them (both versions) and seen them be dead on one pass and then an entire second off on the very next run, and this was at the track and we did make sure it was set up correctly. In the end they are a toy , and might be fun to play with, but don't quote thier time as what your car actually runs
That'd be one of the limitations. They'll give you a good estimate and will be repeatable (provided you can launch the same each time...they are triggered by a surge in acceleration), but they won't tell you a true track time. Close enough? Yup. Of course, it's easy to cheat by playing with the roll out alteration, too...