General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Roush--Cobra or Saleen??? Who is boss???

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 07:17 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Default Roush--Cobra or Saleen??? Who is boss???

Well I know all 3 can wipe the floor with the Stock 05/06 Gt's. ( By the way, I'm only speaking of 05/06 models) But which one is the king of Mustangs? I'm not talking about the "name" of one model or the other or what the name means to the auto world. What I'm speaking of is the true king of the street.

I mean really, If we all had money, and all 3 top of the line models were at the dealership parked next to each other in the color you wanted, which would it be? (I dont even think they will/can sell Saleen and a Roush at the same dealer? Never saw both before, only one or the other.

I'm sure I could look online at numbers or something but this way I get multiple points of view from a range of people and income brackets.

Who wins from a dig?

Who takes quarter mile?

Who takes a true track race ?(not a straight line)

Can any of them "stomp" the latest Vet C5 c6 what ever it is with ease?

Is either one on the 3 the real beast of the American streets or is it just the first of the loosers to the big bad Vet?

I thought about this because I saw an older Saleen today when I was on the way home. Dont know what year but if I had to guess (2000- 2004??) Grey, looked sweet. Saw him looking at my car from behind me (he in first lane 3 cars back, me in 2nd lane) I could not help but wonder what my car would do against it. Is it a stomp on his part or is it just a few cars on me? Or is he so far gone I cant even see his tail lights? Wanted to try him just to see but sadly it was my turn ahead, plus with traffic I sad crew it! I know he will win but i dont care. The next Cobra, Saleen or Roush I see I will simply tell him, I know that cars the beast but I need to see what I do against it. Sorta like in track you race a faster guy to become faster/better. Don't race the slow poke.

Is the sole reason we all dont have Roushs Saleens or Cobras price? Does any of them have known problems? Or are they all perfect and part of the reason they cost what they do. Have to admit I never ever saw any of them broke down on the side of the road. (unless someone modded it some how and screwed it ip!!!

Who is King!!!!????

Thanks 4 taking the time to reply.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Mihlrad

Default RE: Roush--Cobra or Saleen??? Who is boss???

Im not really a car expert let alone know half the time what people on this site are talking about, but i gotta tell you, i work at a whole foods in a very wealthy area (im poor obviously) but the other day there was a red 06 saleen stang in the lot... All i can say is it was one of the nicest cars ive ever seen. Saleen makes an amazing car, about a half hour later i was lucky enough to have seen the guy drive out of the lot and stop at the light. Right when that light went, the sound made by the car was just beautiful.

My vote for the king of stangs definately goes to the saleen.

And of course the saleen s7 is the nicest car...ever.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:48 PM
3v4.6l
1st Gear Member

At the dealership that I bought my mustang at they have both saleens and roush mustangs, I think the roush comes in three stages they even had a roush that was a v6, not that there is anything wrong with that. but you can get bodykit only, bodykit and some performance mods or stage three with supercharger and they all upgrade interior with the roush. the saleens I've seen all had superchargers and I think right around 500 horsepower and cost right around $50,000 but are very nice. I think for the money I would get the gt500 shelby and with mods would probably be the fastest assuming you could get it for close to msrp.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:24 PM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

^^^^check out ebay....the gt500's are going from $60,000-75,000[&:] i can't believe people are paying that
Old 08-09-2006, 10:34 PM
ExtremeSaleen
2nd Gear Member

The 06 Saleen S281E is the best performing production mustang currently available, and given the mark up on the GT500, they are about the same price. The E is making 550hp/500tq. 0-60 is low 4 seconds and quarter is low 12's.

Roush doesn't have anything right now that can come close to either the E or the GT500.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:52 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Hmmmm, I thought the Roush came with the s charger? I mentioned in my first post I am only talking about the top of the line of all 3. I knew Saleens were the beast but dang!

3v4.6l---$50k is nothing to laugh at. Geeze I mean 50k! So I guess dealerships can sell both? I have been looking but never saw both models. either one or the other. Good to know though. Not like I can get one.

So far Saleen seems to be the big Dawg... So Cobra is living off of the name? Is it worth the loot in its current form though?

ExtremeSaleen--- Does that mean the Vet looks at the Saleen like most of us look at the Vet? Like dont even try to mess with it? Just opinions I know.. Hey! I just looked at your pic, that was the exact to the letter Saleen I was talking about down to the color! Good grief!
Old 08-10-2006, 01:05 AM
3v4.6l
1st Gear Member

I was just checking online at northcountryford.com and they have a saleen 281 sc in screaming yellow 2006 for $53,000 lists for $55,000, it is a beautiful car but I hear you, thats too much $$$ for me. I'd love to have it though.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:11 AM
ExtremeSaleen
2nd Gear Member

A C6 vette would probably think twick about messing with an extreme if he knew what it was. The z06 is another story. Roush does offer an S/C car, but the extreme is in a class by itself. Saleen rebuilds the motor with forged internals, cranks the boost up, larger fuel injectors, fuel pump, etc. and does a number of other things to get 550hp out of it. The car cost 70k. More then the MSRP on a GT500, but then with dealer markup they end up being about the same. The 55k Saleen is the S/C at 435hp. The S/C and the E are two very different cars.

Edit: You don't happen to live in Orange County do you? If you do, that just might have been me you saw.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:11 AM
alexr
★★★★★

ORIGINAL: flewbyu

Hmmmm, I thought the Roush came with the s charger?
last time i checked, i believe they both do (atleast in the 05/06 models).

its probably all about which one is tuned better and which supercharger can punch out the highest boost rating without overheating the engine and melting the internals.

i cant remember if either of them changed the internals around or anything like that.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:46 AM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

I think a c6 would take an extreme saleen.

Quick Reply: Roush--Cobra or Saleen??? Who is boss???