General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Interesting feedback about Prochargers

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 02:11 PM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

Default Interesting feedback about Prochargers

So I was talking to the guy installing my Procharger today and I was asking a bunch of questions..

After about 20 minutes of him giving me his experienced based opinion I thought I'd come here and share it..

He basically said Prochargers are good but not great.. Prochargers move alot of air but don't do it very efficient.. They move lots of air but create lots of heat.. Thats why they come w/ the intercooler.. Vortechs don't move as much air but do it more efficient and at a cooler rate.. Thats why they don't come factory w/ an intercooler.. Although, they still 'should' have one because they are still creating heat from the compression of the air..

He further went into mad details and specs that was a foreign language but from what I can gather is Vortech in his opinion are better.. However, Prochargers are decent for the money and still good units for street cars.. He mentioned that most of the internal parts in a Prochargers head unit are second to none.. They almost never fail.. Its just the design it which they move the air that is questionable.. He gave several examples of running his 8 second Mustang down the track.. He said w/ a highend Vortech the air temp at the end of the run was about 250 deg. going into the motor.. With a highend Procharger the air was about 300 deg. about two seconds into the run..

Everyone will have a different opinion base on experience..

I'm still happy I went w/ a Procharger for my car.. I don't plan on running 8 seconds so for a street car I think it will work fine.. However, maybe some of this info will be useful to others planning a future supercharger..
Old 08-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Fatalvenom1377

Default RE: Interesting feedback about Prochargers

I'd be curious as to what intercooler he used on the procharger, the 2 or 3-core?? I noticed in the literature I got from them that the 3-core adds something like 30-40 hp if I remember correctly(I'm at work now).
Old 08-10-2006, 05:11 PM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Interesting feedback about Prochargers

is the guy a Vortech dealer? cuz the guy i went to is a Procharger dealer...and he had no good things to say about Vortech. He said he much prefers Procharger...for ease of install and such...he said the Vortech is a PITA with tapping the oil pan. Personally i still think that both are great units and will be effective and make anyone smile when they drive their car.

just curious...whatd he charge you for the install of the Supercharger?