General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Do aluminum intake piper hurt performance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 12:16 AM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

Default Do aluminum intake piper hurt performance?

Ok I am thinking of one of those cheap cold air intakes for my 98 GT. I already have a K&N and 80mm MAF housing. I also removed the stock filter housing....

I was thinking of making a shield to protect the air filter from hot air by the motor then I saw the cheap cold ir intakest. They come with aluminum pipes. Theoretically these would warm the air charge entering the motor - right ?

Then again I would be loosing stock tube with its rippled corrugated section. The filter would also pick up colder air from the fender.

Anybody ever try one of these.

Please let me know and I can try to geet a pic of the cold air inatake.

Thanks

Old 08-14-2006, 06:58 PM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Do aluminum intake piper hurt performance?

the cold air induction on that year of car usualyl draws air from inside the fender well, when u take off all the plastic housings theres a small hole wich the air enters the air box, the tubing goes into the hole and the filter is put on the inside of the fender, this makes it so ur no drawing air in from the motor compartment giving it "COLD AIR", the aluminum tubing is for keeping the air cold or warm, it is a smoother surface allowing air to flow better then the rigid plastics, the tubing as smooth bends as the plastic has an accordian style bend, i hope this helped