General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cobra or GT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 10:36 PM
Jena415

Default Cobra or GT?

I'm getting a car as a graduation gift from my dad but it has to be under $15,000. I saw 2 mustangs at the used car lot. One was a 96 Cobra and the other was a 96 GT. What's the difference? Which is better, and why? Which has a better engine? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:57 PM
SCARFACE
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Cobra or GT?

cobra is better but I would recomend you to use those 15k toward a 03' cobra, and have your dad co-sign for you, this way you would have a very low monthly payment for a really nice stang, if I was in your place I would even get a job (if that is you don't have one yet) just to get that baby, wort it! [8D]
Old 06-15-2004, 11:22 PM
Jena415

ive already thought about that, but im supposed to pay for my own insurance. im 18 plus having a new car=high insurance costs. im just going to have to settle for an older model.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:16 AM
SCARFACE
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jena415

ive already thought about that, but im supposed to pay for my own insurance. im 18 plus having a new car=high insurance costs. im just going to have to settle for an older model.
it won't be that much more from going with a 96' cobra --- have your dad add you to his insurance, make sure that you mark that your a student that counts, are you a girl? that makes your insurance cheaper too --- get a price quote on insurace for both cars, you don't lose anything and it's free.

go for it!!!
Old 06-16-2004, 05:41 AM
TattooTears
4th Gear Member

I'm not sure what your background as a drive is, but which ever one you choose just be carefull with all that power. You will be surprised how easy those wheels can slip out from under (especially in wet weather).

But to address you question the Cobra is the better car.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:26 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

insurance on any cobra will be high...96 or 2003. but yes, the cobra is a much better car.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:41 PM
ariel4421
1st Gear Member

being a girl makes the insurance higher but it would be so worth it. if your dad is cosigning for the car (if you could go for the 2003) he would be an owner and could then list the cobra under his insurance. i'm 17 and have a 95 5.0...i thought my insurance would kill me but it's not that bad at all with my dad as the legal owner. call your insurance company and talk to them about it and have them run the numbers on both the 96 and the 2003. it's SO worth a shot. i would kill for that 2003 cobra. good luck
Old 06-16-2004, 02:47 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

insurance is cheaper for girls[:@]
Old 06-16-2004, 08:22 PM
D1g1tal V3n0m
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: nomocobra

insurance is cheaper for girls[:@]
My thoughts exactly.

Get the Cobra in all honesty. Overall a better car performance wise and build quality in my opinion.

It all depends on what you really are wanting though and what plans you have to do to a car.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:47 PM
USAMuscle
4th Gear Member

You can easily find a Cobra for under $15k, and if I were you, being as young as you are, I wouldn't try to finance an '03 Cobra, because you can own an older Cobra outright and not have to worry about a car payment at all. Not having a car payment is a HUGE help. Then you will have more money to add goodies to your car. Also I would stay away from the car lot, because they are mostly boneheads and scam artists. I would try to find a private owner or maybe look for one on eBay (they are on eBay all the time). Also try http://www.autotrader.com to find cars close to you. They have a crapload of cars on there, so you shouldn't have any problems at all finding one you want.

Oh, to answer your question, the main difference between the GT and Cobra Mustangs are the Cobras are 32-valve engines and the GT's are 16-valve engines, meaning the Cobra has 4 valves per cylinder, and the GT has 2. That means more airflow and more power, and more room to grow, not to mention the cool factor of having a Cobra. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Cobra or GT?