General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Granny shifting or Double clutching

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 08:14 PM
gregariousgreg
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Granny shifting or Double clutching

ORIGINAL: 2GKT5

Who the **** cares if you're 17? Damn I just read two threads by you and in both you mention you're "16/17". Get it through your head. We............ Don't........... Care...............

And don't come here calling established members tools when you made your account, what, 2 days ago? Jezus. [&:]
+1

Seriously. Pretty cocky for someone who takes Fast and the Furious lines seriously and googles quotes and uses them like undisputed fact.

People hadn't been double clutching cars for decades, because it was totally unnessecary. Then some script-writer who doesn't really know **** about racing has Vin Deisel say a line about it and now its like scripture for ignorant 16 year olds everywhere. Synchros were invented so you don't have to double clutch. Double clutching to save wear on your synchro is like crawling on your knees so you don't wear out your shoes.

But to answer the thread's question: I occasionally double clutch when down shifting more than one gear, or I heel-toe. Most of the time I "granny shift" like the rest of the world.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:14 PM
gsxrstang69
3rd Gear Member

ok fro one thing STFU..we dont have to hear the same god damn thing 22194394 times. granny shift or double clutch..dumbest thing ever. drive how u drive plain and simple. push the clutch in, shift then let the clutch out..woo real hard
Old 08-19-2006, 09:10 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: autie

ORIGINAL: JD1969

well they say double clutch saves the synchornizers in the gear box (doesnt put alot of stress on it) but i like double clutching when i have a drastic gear change sucks at 5th to 2nd; just to let the engine set down to the right rpms but in performance car double clutching is the way of life KIDS. This is comming from a 16/17 year old as well
Sorry pal, but there is no reason to double clutch with a modern transmission. It was done in trans with no sycros but it is not needed anymore and doing it will not save any wear and tear on anything. I am glad your 17 years old and know everything.
Heres a qoute for you mr. JD1969 "Other reasons for double-clutching: Because it is the right way to operate the clutch. Because it saves wear and tear on your synchronizers in the long run, if you're planning to run your car over 200,000 miles, as I do. Because it is fun to do. Because in very cold weather, (-10° F, for example) you may have to double-clutch to shift gears at all, at least for the first few miles." from Why to double clutch. I hate when old people think they know everything.
they dont know everything, but they know more then you, you should also take the advice in my sig

btw: coming from a 17 year old
Old 08-19-2006, 09:25 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

First off I never claimed to know everything, but seeing as how I do build high hot rods for a living, I might have some insite on these subjects that others do not. If I misread your post I am siorry but maybe your wording led me to my conclusion.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:39 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

well they say double clutch saves the synchornizers in the gear box (doesnt put alot of stress on it) but i like double clutching when i have a drastic gear change sucks at 5th to 2nd; just to let the engine set down to the right rpms but in performance car double clutching is the way of life KIDS. This is comming from a 16/17 year old as well
lmfao, prolly one of the funniest things ive read on this forum. And who you calling kids when you're younger than almost everyone on here?
Old 08-20-2006, 11:20 AM
SleepingGT
2nd Gear Member

there is no point in double clutching...hell i drove a honda accord for 40,000 miles with NO CLUTCH, it went out at 190,000 miles...and i just never fixed it...the transmission still worked fine...just gotta time the shifts right and it will drop right into gear

i will say though the ****ty part was starting the car/reversing you had to start it up in gear and hold on lol...if you had to reverse, you started it up in reverse then turned it off put it in first and start it up again [8D]

edit: this was a 93 Honda Accord ex
Old 08-21-2006, 12:55 AM
brugal1618

Since I'm new to driving a stick shift car (2weeks so far), I was wondering if anyone who knows how to double-clutch can say whether these instructions I found online are accurate or not:

Depress clutch pedal
Move gearshift lever to neutral position
Release clutch and at the same time depress the accelerator until the engine speeds up and the gear speeds are more nearly synchronized.
Depress clutch pedal again move gear-shift lever to the next lower position.
Release clutch pedal and at the same time accelerate engine to obtain desired road speed.

I don't really understand the third step. If these instructions are accurate, could someone give me an example?
Old 08-21-2006, 01:16 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: brugal1618

Since I'm new to driving a stick shift car (2weeks so far), I was wondering if anyone who knows how to double-clutch can say whether these instructions I found online are accurate or not:

Depress clutch pedal
Move gearshift lever to neutral position
Release clutch and at the same time depress the accelerator until the engine speeds up and the gear speeds are more nearly synchronized.
Depress clutch pedal again move gear-shift lever to the next lower position.
Release clutch pedal and at the same time accelerate engine to obtain desired road speed.

I don't really understand the third step. If these instructions are accurate, could someone give me an example?
Why bother to double clutch?, it is completly un-needed on a modern trans. It does nothing to prolong, trans, clutch or anything else. Despite what some of these rather inexperanced kids might tell you.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:25 AM
brugal1618

Based on what I've read, I suppose it could come in handy if I were ever to buy a vintage car.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:07 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

if you all wanna laugh some more at this autie kid just read his other post:

https://mustangforums.com/m_1823550/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

Att. Andrew

Quick Reply: Granny shifting or Double clutching