General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Remove mufflers instead of cats

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 09:35 PM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

Default Remove mufflers instead of cats

The lady that drives my kid to school showed up witha borrowed GT. It is a 96 ( I think) It sounded nice so I peeked underneath ...There are 4 cats but the mufflers have been removed !!!!

I guess someone got smart and cut down some of the back prssure without needing to use mil eliminators etc

what do you guys think?
Old 08-18-2006, 11:23 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Remove mufflers instead of cats

they sound O.K. like that
Old 08-18-2006, 11:47 PM
alexr
★★★★★

i saw an IROC drive past my house with no muffs, it didnt sound too ballsy, just rather annoying. they drone too much with out mufflers.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:02 AM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

Yes, it sounded good . My 98 has a flowmaster's cat back system and all the cats. This car sounded the same to me.
The point is that the car is all smog legal and gets none of those annoying dash warning - unless the lack of muflers change something in how the cats get scavenged.

I wonder why I had not heard of this before ( ?)

Wish I knew what makes better power no muffler or no cats
Old 08-19-2006, 12:36 AM
hotrod7687
3rd Gear Member

I would say no cats would make more power. You can get mufflers that have almost no backpressure. I have yet to see a straight through designed cat.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:39 AM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

My old 97 GT had the same setup. The guy who had it before me cut the mufflers off. That car sounded halfway decent, but it was more of a truck sound. I didnt ever change the exhaust on that car mainly because I hadnt really heard what good mufflers sounded like. The 03 GT I have now didnt have mufflers either when I bought it. I didnt like the sound at all. For some reason, the 99-04s just sound too much like a big pickup truck. Too ballsy and no "mustang sound" to it. Also the car made a harsh cracking sound when you let off the gas. I bought the flowmaster catback and the sound improved 100%. It was really smooth an deep sounding. Definately quieter than when the mufflers were cut off.

Definately dont cut the mufflers off if you can help it. You can bolt up an aftermarket midpipe to your stock exhaust. That would sound better and make more power. UPR sells an offroad pipe for like 125$
Old 08-19-2006, 12:53 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Frostbitten

My old 97 GT had the same setup. The guy who had it before me cut the mufflers off. That car sounded halfway decent, but it was more of a truck sound. I didnt ever change the exhaust on that car mainly because I hadnt really heard what good mufflers sounded like. The 03 GT I have now didnt have mufflers either when I bought it. I didnt like the sound at all. For some reason, the 99-04s just sound too much like a big pickup truck. Too ballsy and no "mustang sound" to it. Also the car made a harsh cracking sound when you let off the gas. I bought the flowmaster catback and the sound improved 100%. It was really smooth an deep sounding. Definately quieter than when the mufflers were cut off.

Definately dont cut the mufflers off if you can help it. You can bolt up an aftermarket midpipe to your stock exhaust. That would sound better and make more power. UPR sells an offroad pipe for like 125$

don't go UPR, they suck donkey *********. Get a mac one for like 160
Old 08-19-2006, 01:05 AM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: monkeydude3

ORIGINAL: Frostbitten

don't go UPR, they suck donkey *********. Get a mac one for like 160

Theyre great for 125$. You pretty much get what you pay for with exhaust. But MAC is in the same league as UPR. I bought a MAC cold air intake.... it screwed up my a/f ratio and never fit right.....traded that monkey quick!
Old 08-19-2006, 01:37 AM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

dude, seriously, cutting off the mufflers and leaving the 4 cats sounds freakin awesome. But, what you need to do is add 3 inch chrome tips to the back and you will get that muscle car rumble. My brother spent all the cash on flowmasters, H pipe, etc, but everybody agrees that mine sounds much more meaner. It doesnt do much for HP, but sounds much better than the raspy exhausts out there. Hell, just give it a shot. I did mine, its very simple. If you dont like it, then go with exhaust... I really want to go with a whole new exhaust system, but dont want to lose my sound. To each there own i guess....
Old 08-19-2006, 02:03 AM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

Thank you all for the great ideas and information.

Hot rod has a good point. The stock cats are not really engineered to be free flowing. Good muffler design can create scavenging at a pre determined RPM.

I guess the bottom line is what gives the least back pressure and the most performance.
The fact that keeping the cats saves me the cost of mil eliminators is just one of the things to consider.

Just a couple of points/questions - I am not looking for better or more sound. Funny but I can't really hear the deep throaty sound inside the car. It sucks people enjoy the sound of my car but I don't .....

Do I need a Flowmaster H pipe or will any pipe fit ?

Anybody use these cheap mil eliminators that come without connectors

Thanks guys