General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

H-Pipe vs. X-Pipe????

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 06:28 PM
BLK_BeautyandBeast
1st Gear Member

Default H-Pipe vs. X-Pipe????

Hey guys, I was wondering what the difference was between a h-pipe and a x-pipe? I know they sound different but if there any difference in horsepower? I also kno that x-pipes and h-pipes com in "catted" and "off road" versoins, can any one explain that to me?? Also when you get mid-pipes do you have to install any thing else like cat backs, mufflers, or what? or can you install just the mid-pipes with out any worries about the rest of the exhaust? These might be stupid questions but im new at this so thx for the help!

-Wes
Old 08-19-2006, 06:50 PM
eternal981
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: H-Pipe vs. X-Pipe????

they say an X pipe makes more HP, and an H pipe makes more torque. some say that an X makes more of both. Truth be told, the difference is so small, that your decision should be more based on the sound you want. You're talking HP differences that you could count on on hand, even if you've lost a couple fingers in a construction accident.

catted has catalytic converters, which will be required if you live in a state with any kind of emissions testing. offroad has no catalytic converters, which frees up power and makes it louder. however, i've heard that the high-flow converters on some of these pipes offer hardly any restriction over a straight tube... so again, the power difference may not be enough to worry about.

you can swap out a midpipe without changing anything else. the whole exhaust system is modular in design, to an extent. if you can change a catback without having to change the stock H pipe, it's safe to assume that the new catback and old catback used the same connection locations/dimensions/etc. so anything in the middle can be swapped out just as easily. it doesn't seem like you'd be getting enough power out of it to be worth the money without changing the catback also, but I've never swapped just a midpipe before. let us know how it turns out!