General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 06:08 AM
loosenut
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Nitrous

ok i wanna put my 2cents in here as well,lol. i was once in your shoes bro. i started asking all kinds of questions on here i was flamed then flamed some more but i did get the info i was looking for. i too am running a Nitrous system in my car(02 GT 4.6L) 100 Wet shot. i was worried about the same things you are, first DO NOT RUN PLat PLugs, go to a heat range colder( to be safe i went two heat ranges colder, NGK's) TR6 & Cobra plugs. i have my timing set at stock setting (10degrees BTDC-i think that is the same as the 5.0 as well) i spray at no less than 3500 RPM 1st-4th gear(lol,yes traction is a problem,but its mad fun,lol)if you wanna be safe as far as timing retard goes 1-2 degrees should be enough,but no need to retard it.i went with a wet system because i didnt want to upgrade my injectors yet, i ve heard that to run a dry system "safely" you might want to go up to the next size injectors. BTW-i have no button i use the WOT switch it works fine just takes practice to know where it starts spray'n at. as far as were to mount the Nozzle you want to mount it 4-6 inches away from the T/B in the CAI pipe. ive made several passes with my system and no problems yet, except a little oil blow by comming out around the PCV house, other than that its fine(to correct that problem i need a oil catch can,lol) i have no guages, no monitors no nothin,but feel & sound i called Nitrous express several times to clear any worries i had with nitrous BEFORE i did the install, they made everything clear on what to do and what not to do and how to set it up and run it. if you have any questions pm me ill answer them to the best of my abilities.

P.S.- my engine is COMPLETELY stock inside no forged nothin YET,lol
Old 06-22-2004, 01:43 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Nobody is flaming Obsoli3te, we are just trying to help.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:34 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Yea, I got some answers they just started talkin about techie stuff with eachother.
So 4-5 inches from the TB
gotcha
Spray at 3500RPMS and let off of it 200-500rpms before shift

Now I just need to get it installed correctly...
All the wires are there and such, its just when I ground the activation switch thing it doesnt light up like it should when I flip the switch to turn it on.

If I filled the bottle and got the nozzle thing in place in the cai, would it be ok?

And will going colder plugs ruin performance for non-use of nitrous?
Old 06-22-2004, 04:14 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

One step colder plugs will prolly be ok, the worst that would happen is one might foul out, it won't hurt anything.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:34 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Ok, I picked up some new plugs. Nothing fancy but I got some Autolites. Theyre 2 Steps Colder than stock, which should be A-OK right?

Will this hurt performance when the nitrous isnt in use tho?
Old 06-23-2004, 12:25 AM
loosenut
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Obsol3te

Ok, I picked up some new plugs. Nothing fancy but I got some Autolites. Theyre 2 Steps Colder than stock, which should be A-OK right?

Will this hurt performance when the nitrous isnt in use tho?

i didnt notice a difference in performance. i went two steps colder as well. as far as letting off(the juice) 200-500 rpms before shifting, i just lift my foot the nitrous stops spray'n, grab the next gear and get right back into it(it just so happens that when i shift it takes me right back to 3500 rpms,lol so i floor it on every shift once i get going to 3500 rpms),lol like it was mentioed before,lol, watch out nitrous is addicting,and FUN,lmao
Old 06-23-2004, 12:39 AM
loosenut
1st Gear Member

this is my wet system that i installed-50,75,100 shot
Old 06-23-2004, 12:50 AM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Hrmm, i've got an idea so I dont have to drill a hole.

I've got a plastic piece that im not using that goes from the TB to maf
gonna see if it fits.

What should I do about my switch tho?
And that wire that goes from the solenoid thing to the fuel rail?
where does that go exactly?
Ill try and snap a pic tomorrow around 12pm eastern time
Old 06-23-2004, 12:56 AM
loosenut
1st Gear Member

that wire that goes to the fuel rail might be for a fuel pressure saftey switch, mine has that option i just dont have the fueal saftey switch so the instructions told me to hook it straight to ground. the manufatures website might have instuctions on how and where to hook everthing up, you might want to check it out. i think NOS's web site is www.nosnitrous.com see if they have instructions online or in a PDF file they are free to down load i know NX has the instructions online in PDF form.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:37 AM
NOS/MAN
I ♥ Acer

3 steps colder ,,total timing 24 deg,,117 octane gas 250 shot,,8psi fuel pressure for nitrous and hold on,,,

Quick Reply: Nitrous