General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Convertible top leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 06:34 PM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Convertible top leaking?

Don't need a strip of paper. You can see the gap!! It's probably a 1/4" on the one side. Thanks for the idea though.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:03 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Could be the chassis has been twisted by too many hard launches and this has forced the misalignment. Subframe connectors will help if you don't already have them, but you may need to get a body shop to straighten out the chassis first, then install them.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:44 PM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

I was afraid someone would say that. I've been wondering about the same thing. Didn't want to admit it. I really didn't think the previous owner would/could do that sort of thing. Didn't seem the type. Goes to show what I know...

Ford has aTSB concerning a subframe connector to correct a known vibration problem on verts. I have the vibration. So you think a body shop is where I need to start? I've been debating glass/upholstery shop versus body shop for a week now. I'm not sure which one is going to be best qualified to solve the problem. What would a body shop do? Where would they start? How can you tell if the chassis is twisted?

Actually taking by a glass/upholstery place today to see what they come up with. Now I'm thinking I should take it by a body shop.

Thanks roundman. Where you been lately anyway? Haven't seen you around much.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:19 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Sometimes I get real lazy and don't turn my computer on for several days! I'm still out here though.
A body shop has the equipment and the factory dimensions and the know how to measure the appropriate places on the chassis to determine if the chassis is not square to factory specs. They also have the equipment to straighten out a chassis by using hydraulic jacks and hold downs to bend the chassis back into the proper shape. They have to do this all the time to correct damage from accidents so this is where I would go first just to find out if the chassis has any twists or bends in it. It could be that they are already familiar with the problem you are having if it is a common problem among Mustang convertibles. I have read on other sites that chassis twist while drag racing with slicks can even cause the rear window to crack in a notchback, so the problem is a real one for some models.
Knowing what I just said, it may be quicker and easier to go to the auto glass shop first though as they may have also seen this problem before and can either fix it or tell you it needs to be done by a body shop instead.
I guess this one is a toss up!
Hope you can get it done cheaply so the leak doesn't keep causing you grief!
Old 07-09-2004, 02:55 PM
blurbro

ORIGINAL: horatio102

My top quit working so I took it off. Just strip it, go lightweight. My 5.0 vert is down to 3000 lbs.

Dang! You got any pics of that?

My top leaks, when it actually sees rain(almost never). but I need nearly all of my weatherstriping replaced. Been meaning to get to that.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:57 PM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

hehe I know what you mean about leaving the computer off! Wish I could more often.

Just got back from the glass shop and the guy there seemed to think it wasn't the window. He said the "drains" through the quarter panels were probably stopped up. Not sure how I'm going to "fix" that just yet. That doesn't sound good though. If their clogged, I could have water sitting in there all the time..rust. Ugh. He was showing me how most outside window's gaskets don't hold tight enough to keep water out.

Looks like its time to disassemble the interior a little deeper... Thanks for the input. I may still check out the body shop to have 'em check. The gap looks a little big to me.