General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Newbie needs help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 06:44 PM
blazinyellowbeast
2nd Gear Member

Default Newbie needs help.

Let's see, where to start. Well its started the other night (last sat), I left a softball tournament and the car was running fine, about 2 miles down the road (through town, 35 mph) the car started to run like crap. Around 2200 RPMs it would just shudder real bad and would almost stop pulling. I figured maybe a burnt wire, so I stopped and checked but didn't see anything. I was about 20 miles from home so I just drove it the rest of the way. It would cruise at 55 mph pretty much normal but if you tried to give any gas and it would shudder (kinda sounds like a helicopter), I didn't give it to much gas (for fear of tearing something up) but it seemed to clear up around 3000 RPM. Well I get it to a friend shop and leave it for the night, went back the next morning and she started up and ran fine. (I was thinking maybe some bad gas) But it done the same thing on the way home from work just now. Any one have a clue where I should start?

95 GT. 302 Ford Motorsports short block. Trick Flow twisted wedge heads, upper and lower intake. BBK Cold Air. 24lb Ford Injectors. BBK throttle body. MAF. BBK equal length headers. Offroad H Pipe. MSD cap rotor, and 6AL. Probably forgetting something.

Thanks.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:06 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Newbie needs help.

Sounds like a problem in the fuel system. Check the pressure and flow.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:55 AM
corvetteguy
3rd Gear Member

Have you put in a bottle of injector cleaner?

Old 09-02-2006, 10:28 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

The MSD 6AL ignition box or the ignition module (if you still have one) might be a place to look.The symptoms point to an electrical problem that's heat related.As electrical faults get heated up they can expand and cause tiny cracks to open and interupt the flow of electrons.Computer chips and controllers can also fail and cause all kinds of apparently unrelated problems.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:20 PM
lemonademaker
1st Gear Member

I'd say it was either some funky petrol or some water in your tank (again, making your gas all out of whack)
Old 09-02-2006, 12:37 PM
blazinyellowbeast
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the help. I was kinda thinking it was an ignition problem, but wasn't sure. At least now I have somewhere to start. I'm not sure about the gas, the last time I filled up was at my usual place, but crazier stuff has happened. I'll throw some injector cleaner in it.

I unplugged the 6AL and ran it straight off the coil (Blaster) and it was doing the same thing. The car is back at my friends shop now, was going to start by changing the plugs and wires (maybe a couple months old), does anyone think this is a waste of time or a good place to start?

Thanks again.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:27 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
2nd Gear Member

It does sound like a ignition prob....more towards the distributor then the plugs/wires if they're only a few months old. Did you have any probs getting the rotor off when you put the msd one in there? Also check the fuel pressure just to cover all of your bases..