General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

line locks???

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 04:25 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Default RE: line locks???

ORIGINAL: RollinThunder

JD1 wont dumping my clutch 4500rpm take a big tole on clutch??

and also how long should I sit there spinning? how do I kno when the tires dont need anymore heatin up?
No thats why they put water down, on a drag radial no more than 5 seconds
Old 07-04-2004, 02:11 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

If you buy a line lock, you will need to buy a separate installation kit to make it work on a Mustang as the Mustang uses metric brake fittings and most line locks are standard US threads. I bought mine from Hurst and got their Mustang install kit which contained 3 different lengths of steel brake lines with fittings already attached and adapter fittings to allow the lines to be connected to the existing Mustang fittings and to the line lock solenoid itself. You need to be really careful installing a line lock since the Mustang has two separate lines going to the front wheels from the proportioning valve and you need to pay close attention to what your doing when you install one. Line locks allow you to do good burnouts without having to toe the brake pedal trying to hold the front tires still while spinning the back ones and they will save wear and tear on your rear brakes. With my auto tranny, I get the wheels spinning in first gear then shift to second and hold the rpms around 4,000 until I get some smoke off the tires and then release the line lock and pull forward still spinning then lift off the throttle and apply the brakes as I get near the line. A line lock really helps a clutch car stage at the line without rolling through the lights by accident due to drag on the clutch pulling the wheels through the beams.
Old 07-04-2004, 02:56 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

I seen car with a linelock just push threw the lights me I never have bother with one....on an automatic I just use a transbrake
Old 07-04-2004, 03:03 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Footbrake racers like me cannot use a transbrake and I got the line lock just so I could do a good burnout without riding the brakes so much.
Old 07-04-2004, 03:13 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

hey I looked for your *** last weekend @ FFW
Old 07-04-2004, 03:25 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

I was there all three days! I was helping my friend with his Miller Lite altered which ran some 8.0's on Saturday before it rained out. If you saw his runs, you saw me at the starting line! My Stang was the MOD #380 with the blue paint job needing some new paint on the gray rubber lower parts. LOL
What does your ride look like???
Old 07-04-2004, 03:33 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

I was a spec on sunday..was there sat waited in the truck for 1.5 hours for the rian to stop I left....my s/c car isn't strip ready yet
Old 07-22-2004, 11:24 PM
90rustang

I guess someone should ask if you intend to try and race and win or just make a couple of passes to see how fast your car is? If your going to race a line lock is a huge help with a stick car, unless you like staging with the hand brake lol. If your just seeing how fast your car is there's no real need for one. BTW Advanced Auto has adapters for ford master cyls for like $4.00, alot cheaper then the hurst kit.

How I have always done a burnout is pull thru the water put the car in 2nd gear set the line lock and let the clutch out as i'm flooring it. Don't sidestep the clutch, it's hard on parts not to mention the clutch cable. Let them smoke till it starts to bog the engine down then let off the line lock and roll out slowly lifting off the throttle.

Easiest way to stage a stick car is roll in till you light the pre stage bulb ( the top one) then press the brake pedal gently and set the line lock. You want alittle drag in the front brakes but not enough to where there locked. Then set your launch rpm and bump the clutch out to bump the car forward till u light the stage bulb. Takes alittle practice but it's not all that hard. Alot easier then trying to stage with the hand brake.

Now the fun part is finding a way to route the wires for it without having to drill holes lol
Old 07-22-2004, 11:35 PM
chriscindy6369
3rd Gear Member

Old 07-24-2004, 05:48 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

I ran the wires for my line lock thru the same hole that the speedometer cable runs through-there is a large rubber grommet with plenty of room for more wires to run along side the speed cable and you don't have to drill any holes.

Quick Reply: line locks???