General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tip's on chaging my sprak plugs (NEED HELP PLEASE)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 11:13 PM
SCARFACE
3rd Gear Member

Default Tip's on chaging my sprak plugs (NEED HELP PLEASE)

I changed the spark plugs on all my old cars but never on my stang --- does anyone know how complicated it might be --- any tip's, suggestions, etc on how to do it much easier --- and what type of spark plug do you guys recommend, the one with 2 heads, 4 heads???

how many spark plugs does my 01 cobra have and where ? do I need to lift the car to get under ?

Old 07-07-2004, 11:15 PM
SCARFACE
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Tip's on chaging my sprak plugs (NEED HELP PLEASE)

oh!.... and is it true that you have to change them once per year ?
Old 07-07-2004, 11:17 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

1. Bosch +4 suck, get Iridiums

2. No you don't have to change them once a year

3. I don't know how to change them, but I would like to know how a 2valve is to do. Probably do them in the spring.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:19 PM
SCARFACE
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SilverGTV8
2. No you don't have to change them once a year
If not yearly then every when ???
Old 07-07-2004, 11:30 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

Plat plugs are good for 100,000 miles, I have always changed mine every 40 to 50 thousand miles. Never had any problems, and the plugs still looked good when they came out.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:58 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

i dont kno how 4.6's are, but 5.0's are a PIA to change. its a TIGHT fit, and gotta take off the airhose(from filter to tb), unplug some wires and take off some rubber hoses. no big deal after the first time. first time is just complicated. take your time and dont lose patience. this is gonna sound nuts, but, i run Autolite 25's in mine gapped at .045. im running a stock '92 5.0. i change mine every other oil change so i keep my performance up. but, i kno its not necessary, but, i do it anyway. but, like i said, i dont kno how close a 4.6's layout is to a 5.0. so, might wanna try to get a hold of MD or 04Shakinsteed, or somebody like that or might have experience with a 4.6. ive never worked under the hood on a 4.6, so, im not much help. hopefully somebody will help you out. good luck
Old 07-08-2004, 12:04 AM
SCARFACE
3rd Gear Member

thanks anyway man, and thank you Silver!
Old 07-08-2004, 12:13 AM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

U R welcome. I changed the plugs on mybuddies LS1 and that is suppose to suck and it wasn't to bad. I can't imagine it being to bad.

Oh and we put in the iridiums and he likes them and so does the car. Another friends and I have had +4's and we hated them and so did rhe cars.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:39 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Never changed them on a 4.6, but I can offer a couple of suggestions. One, get a swivel head ratchet wrench with a short extension and a spark plug socket with the rubber insert in it so the plug can't fall out of the socket. Put some dielectric silicone grease into the plug wire boots when putting them back on the new plugs, will keep moisture out and make them easier to remove next time. for hard to get into spots, get a piece of 1/4" rubber hose and put the new plug in the end of the hose and use this to get the plug started into the threads, then remove the hose and use the wrench to tighten rest of way. If you have aluminum heads, use some never sieze lubricant on the spark plug threads and don't overtighten them as you can pull the treads out of the heads if you ain't careful.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:56 AM
nhdungeonracer
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like you got a 4.6. If a Mustang is anything like my F150 which has a 4.6, it's a real pain compared to a 5.0. The plugs sit down in a hole so far you can't see the tops of them unless you look down the hole
You'll need a socket designed for spark plugs. Basically, it's like a standard socket, but has a piece of rubber inside it to grip the plug. Getting the plugs out isn't so bad if you get the socket on it, but getting the socket OFF the new plug after you've installed it might be the worst part. When I 1st went to remove the socket off the new plug, the rubber gripped so much that the extension would come out of the socket, leaving the socket down in the hole on the plug [:@]. Took me a little while, but finally figured out that if I put some GOOP hand cleaner on the body of the plug before putting the socket on, then the socket would slide off after I tighten the plug.

Biggest thing you need is..........PATIENCE !! Some of the plugs are a bitch to get a socket on, especially the ones in the back. Just take your time.

Oh, after you pull the wire off the old plug, blow the hole out with an air gun before you take the plug out. Shouldn't be any dirt or crud in there, but never hurts to be sure.

And I also recommend you change the plug wires at the same time. Accel makes a nice replacement set.

Quick Reply: Tip's on chaging my sprak plugs (NEED HELP PLEASE)