General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clutch Installation!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 10:28 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Default Clutch Installation!!

Is it really that hard to change the clutch?
My step-dad was making it out to be a big deal, saying it has to be lined up and all perfect n junk.
And one small thing wrong and it will wear out fast

He said to bring it to a shop and have them do it, but installation would prolly be around $1,000

And I don't wanna shell out the cash

How hard of a job is this?

And if I bought a kit, would the clutch come pre-assembled?
Old 07-08-2004, 10:51 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Clutch Installation!!

putting in a clutch is not that hard at all but yes you need to aline it.but a line up tool comes with some kits.if you got a floor jack and a place to work and basic hand tools and can read a repair manual you could do it.you could even get buy without a floor jack.good luck
Old 07-08-2004, 10:58 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Does centerforce make a dual friction clutch kit for my t5?
Old 07-08-2004, 11:12 PM
EmptyEvergreen
3rd Gear Member

yeah they do, also a clutch replacement isnt hard at all just make sure to replace or resurface the flywheel and make sure you have a tourque wrench
Old 07-08-2004, 11:15 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Yeah, im thinking about getting an Aluminum flywheel
Gonna make another post about it gets more responses under a more appropriate name.

Not sure how well it'd be on a daily driver.

K, so i'll go for that then
a Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch Kit
and that should come with the bearings, pressure plate, and clutch.

and thats all i need besides a new flywheel right?
Old 07-09-2004, 12:14 AM
D1g1tal V3n0m
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Obsol3te

Yeah, im thinking about getting an Aluminum flywheel
Gonna make another post about it gets more responses under a more appropriate name.

Not sure how well it'd be on a daily driver.

K, so i'll go for that then
a Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch Kit
and that should come with the bearings, pressure plate, and clutch.

and thats all i need besides a new flywheel right?

Putting in a new clutch isn't hard. It's just that people don't want to take the time to do it or learn. You either will or won't get an alignment tool with the kit. If you don't it's like 5$. If you don't have any experience installing a clutch you will want someone that knows what they're doing there to help you and show you etc. If it isn't done properly the clutch disc will wear faster or you won't get proper engagement or disengagement etc.

You're going to need a new roller pilot bearing. Every single clutch kit I have put into the T-5 has asked for it. It's like 9$. Like I said in the other post you don't need an aluminum flywheel. Just get yours resurfaced from a reputable machine shop and be done with it.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:45 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

It's also a good idea to use some new flywheel mounting bolts when you replace/change the flywheel-you can get them at the parts store and also use some blue locktight on the bolts for both the flywheel and the pressure plate where it bolts to the flywheel.
I agree with DV, just get you old flywheel resurfaces and this will lighten it up a bit and save you some serious money over buying an aluminum flywheel, you really don't need one right now anyway! Also make damn sure that you clean the flywheel surfaces with brake cleen to remove every trace of grease or oil etc. before you mount the clutch on it. Also clean the surface on the pressure plate too the same way, you don't even want your finger prints on either surface to contaminate the clutch disk. Wipe them both down with a clean dry rag after cleaning them off. And don't get anything on the clutch disk itself or you will ruin it and it will be useless as a clutch. (clutches work based on friction, and grease/oil on them makes them slip like crazy)
Old 07-09-2004, 12:51 PM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

Gotta agree with venom...get someone to help you that knows what they're doing. It's not a "hard" job necessarily but it is time consuming, back breaking work! Having NO knowledge would just complicate things. Somebody who knows even a little bit will be invaluable in that they may spot something you'll over look that will cause you to have to redo it again. Haven't done a Mustang, but I did my truck and it was bitch. Course the tranny weighs 200+ lbs on that monster.

I'd recommend a floor jack, and 4 jack stands. Really makes the job a lot easier if you have room to work. I can't imagine trying to do it w/o at least a jack!!!
Old 07-09-2004, 04:57 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Do you think you could order a clutch and pressure plate pre-assembled?
So I can pretty much just plop it onto my tranny?
or is this a bad idea?
Old 07-09-2004, 06:15 PM
WNDSOR
2nd Gear Member

it comes in two seperate pieces the clutch and plate, they bolt to the flywheel and the only part of the trans that touches them is the input shaft. you have to "slide" the input shaft in the middle of the clutch then bolt up the bell housing. its a two man job on the ground.

Quick Reply: Clutch Installation!!