General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Tires or suspension problem?

Old 10-02-2006, 09:54 PM
Britte86
1st Gear Member

Default Tires or suspension problem?

When I'm driving my 88 seems to pull me, for a lack of a better word, off to the right. I don't know if it's a tire problem or suspension or what. I'm still in a learning process of how a car works. My 88 is my first car and it's been taking me through a crash course on figuring out how to do things and how to figure out what's wrong. I looked at the tires and the back ones look fine, the front ones are a little worn (they used to be on the back, but my friend switched them for me) but not so bad that there isn't any traction.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:49 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Tires or suspension problem?

Look for uneven wear on the front tires. If it's wearing on the inside or outside, you have an alignment problem...same goes for cupping (looks just like it sounds...could be called scalloping).

It could be a power steering control valve issue, but I'd take it to an alignment shop and have it checked first. You'll find it's probably just out of alignment.

Another thing to check is the steering rack bushings while you're playing with the front.

Just some more info on tire wear: If the tires are wearing on both shoulders, your air pressure is low. If the tires are wearing in the center and not the shoulders, your air pressure is high. Ideally, you want the full width of the tread on the ground when going down the highway. You can check this by putting a chalk line across your tread and rolling your car back and forth. If the chalk doesn't completely disappear (rub off), you need to either raise or lower your air pressure. Maximize the air pressure in your tires that still allow them to sit on the ground.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:00 AM
corvetteguy
3rd Gear Member

Most local roads have a crown, which makes the
car track to the right.
What does it do on an interstate?
Old 10-03-2006, 11:27 AM
squad272
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

Look for uneven wear on the front tires. If it's wearing on the inside or outside, you have an alignment problem...same goes for cupping (looks just like it sounds...could be called scalloping).

It could be a power steering control valve issue, but I'd take it to an alignment shop and have it checked first. You'll find it's probably just out of alignment.

Another thing to check is the steering rack bushings while you're playing with the front.

Just some more info on tire wear: If the tires are wearing on both shoulders, your air pressure is low. If the tires are wearing in the center and not the shoulders, your air pressure is high. Ideally, you want the full width of the tread on the ground when going down the highway. You can check this by putting a chalk line across your tread and rolling your car back and forth. If the chalk doesn't completely disappear (rub off), you need to either raise or lower your air pressure. Maximize the air pressure in your tires that still allow them to sit on the ground.
The chalk line is a great tip!!!!!

what about the air pressure in relation to this issue or in general.....

do you use the psi on the tire or the psi on the door tag??????