General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

HOW IMPORTANT IS LAUNCHING

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 04:11 PM
yellowjacket01
2nd Gear Member

Default HOW IMPORTANT IS LAUNCHING

How does one launch,what rpm should i launch at.and is it important.Im asking these questions because i never really get the chance to race from a starting point just usually from 50 on up,but if im going to start i need to know at what rpm i need to launch at.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:58 PM
5IVE.OH
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: HOW IMPORTANT IS LAUNCHING

Find abandoned road, figure it out. Buy new tires, race everyone from a light, even if they aren't racing you.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:39 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Roll onto the throttle as your rolling off the clutch. The idea is to engage the clutch as quick as possible without lugging the engine or breaking the tires loose. You'll eventually gain a feel for it and get a solid launch that puts you in the seat and holds you there without any breaks.

And to answer the question, "How important is launching?" That is probably the most important aspect. A properly launched car can quickly decide the race and give you a few tenths in the quarter.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:16 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

I agree with Colorado, the launch is almost everything. If your launch sucks, so will your ET... a little better launch can gain you a ton of time in the 1/4
Old 10-06-2006, 08:54 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

ORIGINAL: 5IVE.OH

Find abandoned road, figure it out. Buy new tires, race everyone from a light, even if they aren't racing you.

That's one of my favorite quotes thus far.

And yes, as has been said, your launch, ESPECIALLY in a RWD with not great HP numbers, is your biggest advantage over other cars, mainly those with FWD.

The goal is to slip the clutch out, with the smallest amount of wheel spin possible. If you read reviews about proffessionals who have launched 99-04 GT's, they tend to agree that it is much easier to bog the car by allowing the RPM's to drop too low than on most RWD vehicles. Our powerband is best applied to launching in the 3K-4K range with the clutch slipping out.

Good luck.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:51 PM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

I agree with colorado
Old 10-10-2006, 06:02 PM
Sacmo
2nd Gear Member

It all depends on what you got... With street tires, I have to launch pretty low (1500 rpm) becouse I have a bunch of mods, if I don't all I do is spin the tires, kill my time and lose the race... When I'm at the track with the slicks, I can launch on my rev limiter (7000 rpm) without spinning... Wouldn't recomend running up the rpm's on a stock motor... If possible, take it to a local track and do some practicing and look at your 60ft time, try different things; rpm's, dumping the clutch, riding the clutch, ect... As Colorado said, you will get the feel for what works...
Old 10-10-2006, 06:06 PM
5IVE.OH
3rd Gear Member

or burn off your clutch, snap an axle, fry your rear-end..................
Old 10-10-2006, 11:24 PM
Sacmo
2nd Gear Member

Never burned up a clutch, never snapped an axle, never fried a rear end... About 50k on the clutch, about 150k on the axles, about 20k on the rear end...
Old 10-11-2006, 04:52 AM
kylebgt
3rd Gear Member

Do you guys leave the trac control on while racing? I have a 2k gt what rpm should I shift at? My previous car was a celica gts so I am use to really high revs, and dont want to rev mine to high and blow it.

Quick Reply: HOW IMPORTANT IS LAUNCHING