General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

radar detector

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 03:43 AM
Sean W.
4th Gear Member

Default radar detector

hey fellas,

what can you tell me about a radar detector, if i get one i allready know which one i am going to get, the only thing i dont really know is how they work, and what they do to prevent you from getting a ticket. from what i have read it just lets you know that you are getting skanned and you are screwed, what good would that do? thanks for any help
Old 10-07-2006, 05:18 AM
MustangMadness7
4th Gear Member

Default RE: radar detector

Well, the really nice ones not only have detectors, but they also have jammers. They will send the radar gun a signal that is obsurd, such as 958MPH, or 2MPH. In my opinion they are the only ones worth getting. The detectors just detect radar, but normaly by the time they detect it, the gun already picked up your speed. Unfortunetly, now their are laser type guns. I dont know 100% how they work, but apperently its different than radar, works the same way, and cant be detected by radar detectors. I dont think they are very widespread though.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:55 AM
amrcnidyot
6th Gear Member

laser can be detected but the problem is that its usually when you are getting gunned. the only way you will detect a laser is if there is a person right in front of you and the cop clocks them. then you should get a signal. not all detectors have laser detector though.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:24 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangMadness7

Well, the really nice ones not only have detectors, but they also have jammers. They will send the radar gun a signal that is obsurd, such as 958MPH, or 2MPH. In my opinion they are the only ones worth getting. The detectors just detect radar, but normaly by the time they detect it, the gun already picked up your speed. Unfortunetly, now their are laser type guns. I dont know 100% how they work, but apperently its different than radar, works the same way, and cant be detected by radar detectors. I dont think they are very widespread though.
+1...specially if you are the first one in the line of cars...once the detectors goes off...is too late...not quite if you are the second or third car...you will have some reaction time. Remember the radar detecors shoots of a beam that starts narrow and with the distance it spreads out...the lasar detector is based on aiming point....the cop could aim at your front grill and get an instant reading...best radar detector is your foot off the gas pedal and 20-20 vision....
Old 10-08-2006, 01:47 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangMadness7

This is not true. it's been tested hundreds upon hundreds on times. Any radar unit that is even remotely close to a decent / newer model will be completely unaffected by these so-called jammers. Many people swear they work because they read it somewhere or "have a friend who knows" etc. But I am certified and have actually tested dozens of these things over and over again. They quite simply do not work at all. This is first hand knowledge and I'm not relying on something I read or heard form someone else. It is possible to avoid being seen by the radar, but it can't be done by these devices. They're just not advanced enough to affect a radar unit.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:47 PM
bhskins05
1st Gear Member

If they dont work, why are they illegal in some states? It seems pretty useless to me to make something Illegal if it doesnt do anything.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:08 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bhskins05

If they dont work, why are they illegal in some states? It seems pretty useless to me to make something Illegal if it doesnt do anything.
Talking on a cellphone while driving is illegal in some states. Just having a radar detector is also illegal in some states. What's your point? Are you trying to tell me they work? Are you basing this simply on the fact that they are illegal in some places or have you actually run dozens upon dozens of tests? I have run tests so I have hard facts to go on. Do you even know how radar units today compare to the ones that were used in the past when these jammers and detectors first started coming out?

But hey, it's not my money so go ahead and get one. While you're at it grab a tornado to increase your airflow and slap a turbonator and an electric supercharger on your engine as well. Oh, and don't forget the Slick 50.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:45 PM
kylebgt
3rd Gear Member

First off jammers are highly illegal in all states. Radar detectors are great to have but as long as you dont think that you are invincible. Still keep an eye out for the cops. If you are the only vehicle on the road and the cop shoots you, he's already got your speed before your detector goes off and you can react. They are most effective when there is at least a couple of other cars a 1/4 mile ahead of you, he will then shoot them first your detector will go crazy and you can slow down before he shoots you. This makes them nice to have on the interstate when a cop is sitting shooting people with the radar. Or in the city with a few cars ahead of you.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:56 PM
bhskins05
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: samseed101

Talking on a cellphone while driving is illegal in some states. Just having a radar detector is also illegal in some states. What's your point? Are you trying to tell me they work? Are you basing this simply on the fact that they are illegal in some places or have you actually run dozens upon dozens of tests? I have run tests so I have hard facts to go on. Do you even know how radar units today compare to the ones that were used in the past when these jammers and detectors first started coming out?

But hey, it's not my money so go ahead and get one. While you're at it grab a tornado to increase your airflow and slap a turbonator and an electric supercharger on your engine as well. Oh, and don't forget the Slick 50.

Calm down sunshine, it was a question. Theres no need to get all angry-like. The cell phone analogy was retarded, they have been proven to be hazardous. I wont be buying a radar with a scrambler, The last thing i need is to get a ticket for that to.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:40 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Calm down sunshine, it was a question. Theres no need to get all angry-like. The cell phone analogy was retarded, they have been proven to be hazardous. I wont be buying a radar with a scrambler, The last thing i need is to get a ticket for that to.
Angry-like? LoL, ok whatever. Not sure why you thought that was "angry like" but I don't really care either. Don't really care if you liked the analogy or not either. If you beleive they work, then oh well. It's not my problem. After all, you read it somewhere so it must be true!

Quick Reply: radar detector