General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Paint Job

Old 10-14-2006, 11:42 PM
rppngears91
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Paint Job

i painted my own car and i had NO clue what im doing. It turned out bitchin!!! try it if it doesnt work find a maaco around they;ll do it for about 250$$
Old 10-15-2006, 12:37 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Bottom line is that if you want the car to look at least as good as it did from the factory AND last, it will cost you. Maaco will not prep a car for $250, they will scuff the car with a Sctochnrite pad and shoot a color on it. I promise it will look like crap. The big problem is that many people think that just because it's shiny, it's a good job.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:57 PM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

JD is right.

Aside from the prep is paint quality.

I once has a car painted for $65.00

I washed it carefully wet sanded and did some of the masking. Before bringigng it to the shop I cleaned it with prep-sol.

It did come out shiny but ib 3 mo the paint ( enamel) started to fade and oxidise .[&o]

All they did was pour the paint over the car.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:19 PM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

I painted my car myself, and I have about 2 weeks invested in it. It turned out really good, but I still need to cut and buff the clear to make it perfect. Anyone can shoot paint on it, but like others have said, its all in prep.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:58 PM
beheivjer
2nd Gear Member

I just had my 98 repainted. they charged me 1500 to prep and paint . Basically its 200 a panel to repaint a car. I bought all the supplies and paint. I had about $3000.00 into fixing my dings in my door and repainting my car to 04 G6 mystichrome. I love the car and I get everybody looking at it while im at work, I work for a ford suppling warehouse.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:09 AM
chadrice

I work at a body shop and we start full repaints at $3000.00 that for a car where all we have to do is take all the mouldings & acces. off sand and paint it. no body work or any thing just same color no jambs ect.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:45 AM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

I have a question that this group should be able to help me with ...

Recently I had the bumper and hood painted on my black 98GT.

This was an established body shop in the area. The owner said he would use a two part finsih ending with a clear coat that would be as good as or better than the factory paint. Cost was $365

The paint came out ok but the body shop owner mentioned that he had a really hard time with the bumper because it seemed that someoene had sprayed it with touch up spray paint or something like that.

About a month after the job was done the bumper paint started showing small cracks. It looks like the cracks one sees on a dry mud at the bottom of a dry lake.

I went back to the shop and the guy told me that "I" should have had the bumper replaced in order to have the paint look ok. He said my bumper was bad.[X(]

Now the hood is showing small dimples as if the paint was lifting from under the pigment.

What do you guys feel this guy did wrong to cause the paint to show the above? Did he skip on a barrier coat or did not prep the car properly ?

What would it take to repair or re do the job properly?

thanks
Old 10-21-2006, 03:26 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

On the bumper he might have skiped the flex agent. The hood could be contaminated, grease, fingerprints or even moisture could cause it. IMO the only "right" way to fix it would be to strip to the bare surface and re-do everything.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:00 PM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the info. I think that since he tried to blow off the bumper issue he will try to get out of this too....[&:]
Old 10-22-2006, 02:57 AM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

OK ive been doing this a little while - still im yet to paint a whole car but its coming very soon - like the said buy the stuff and learn - but make sure you do it right - you will easily have 3 days in prep just for primer - if you use a primer sealer youll be good - get a high build - then block it down - the best way is to get out any runs - dimples - what have you before you prime - however you dont have to go down the metal sanding - in fact you shouldnt - if your car is in good shape just sand the clear down a little bit prime and paint - always prime - I think adhension promotor sucks just do a base + clear and a monkey can do it. The more time u spend the better it will be - here is the trick however CURING!!! - let your primer cure for at least a 2 days then block it down if you had to do bondo then let it cure for 30 days- no kidding the bondo will harden and stretch your paint. ALso you need to have a semi warm ( at least not cold ) and dry day to paint - also let your coats "flash" 15 mins between each coat - then finally dont use crappy paint or primer - duplicolor is the only can primer it will work but the spray stuff at the paint store is easier and better. so to buy tools and do it your self will cost you about 1000 - a decent paint job will run 2500 EASY - cheaper than that _ unless its your dad - you wont be happy with - to buy a paint job that is as good as you can do with research and time would cost your 5-15K all day long - good luck