General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

poor ride quality

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 11:22 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

Default poor ride quality

what would cause my front end to be unstable, especially at higher speeds, (40-75)
seems really bouncey, and jerky, if i hold the wheel still, it seems like the tires have some play. also on subtle left turns at highway speeds, i gotta hold the steering wheel right, but my right turns arent affected. dunno if thats alignment... the shaking/instability definitely seems to be coming from the front end (suspension related)

maybe shot springs? control arm? everything in that area is stock as of now.

Old 10-14-2006, 11:39 PM
rppngears91
1st Gear Member

Default RE: poor ride quality

do u have completly stock suspension?
Old 10-15-2006, 01:53 AM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

yes sir, minus rear shocks, those are monroes. and im sure thats not doing it ;O
Old 10-15-2006, 05:37 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Could be alignment issues or worn bushings, especially in the rack. Something you may want to have looked at. It could be as simple as the road surface as well, but better safe than sorry...
Old 10-15-2006, 04:04 PM
7arpad7
2nd Gear Member

I may be way off on this... Is it possible that one of the weights used in ballancing your wheels has fallen off?... let it be that instead of the more costly problems that can cause what you are talking about.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:02 PM
ryterngki
2nd Gear Member

If it is possible, place the front of the car on jack stands. Turn the ignition key on to unlock the steering column. Have a friend hold one of the front tires as you are holding the other one. Take your tire and try to move it side to side like you're trying to control the steering. Your friend should hold his tire straight and resist your turning. Switch sides and do the same process again. If there is any play (free, loose movement) it is possible your steering bushings are bad. If there is no play in the tires with this test you can place your hands at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions and try to rock the tire that way. If all is still good take the car to a tire shop and have them take off the front wheels and check for bent rims, bad tires, and unbalanced wheels. A good shop will do all of this for you and give you an estimate for free hoping to get your business.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:43 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

thanks for the replies, ill check to see that the weights are still on each wheel, and oneday in the near future ill do those tests.

maybe just the roads are getting worse out here in colorado []
Old 10-16-2006, 02:35 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Heck, didn't notice you were here. The roads out here will throw your car around like a rag doll...even some of the new ones. Which part of town do you frequent. I'm north of Denver and frequently have road related stability issues...even through the new part where TREX was sucks.

ORIGINAL: ackuric

thanks for the replies, ill check to see that the weights are still on each wheel, and oneday in the near future ill do those tests.

maybe just the roads are getting worse out here in colorado []
Old 10-16-2006, 11:07 AM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

US-36, 270, 70, and just about every side road.

lol we have some poorly paved roads here. it just seems my stang used to soak up some of those bumps a lil better. i just hate that instable feeling on the highway =/
Old 10-19-2006, 12:14 AM
Alero99
3rd Gear Member

i get teh same thing, but i know for a fact my rear tires are uneven, so doing 70 mph my car is rattling and shaking and hte steering wheel is bumping up and down, pretty scarey