General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

what h-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 12:18 AM
live4motocross11
4th Gear Member

Default what h-pipe

i have an american thunder cat back (flows) on my 94 mustang gt and i was wondering wat h-pipe u guys wwould suggest, i was thinking a bbk o/r one since im going with bbk ceramic shorty headers too. I am going to have to drive it out of storage next sprign and 4 hours on the freeway to get home so i dont know how horrible the drone with be. what to u guys think and suggest?
Old 11-06-2006, 12:48 AM
7arpad7
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: what h-pipe

I have '97 cobra (I know that there is a huge difference in our cars) with high flow cats and X pipe with Flowmaster cat back exhaust... It is fairly loud, but not too loud...gets some extra horses... and once the RPMs are down, it is totally acceptable in the volume department...my other car (same year and make) has a flowmaster cat-back, which has a nice tame rumble to it... I test drove a few GTs some years ago (when my brother was looking for a stang)...two of them had somewhat similar exhaust to what you are talking... one was a 95 with the off-road H (could have been an X) pipe and that son of a pitch was so loud that it was ridiculous (my brother was not impressed and passed on the car)... there was a point in the RPMs where the exhaust was ear-piercing... the other GT was a 96 with the same deal, an off-road pipe set up... It was a little more acceptable on the decibels, but you would really have to purchase a new amp for your radio to overcome it... it is nice to get some performance gains from a high flow mid-pipe, and an exhaust that is audible is grunt-able, but I don't think that for a daily driver (would be a different thing if you are talking about an all out strip car) it is worth driving a car that hollers to the cops "pull me over, I am speeding like a maniac"... I suggest checking into the high-flow cat system with an X-pipe... the X-pipe is good for a couple more HP then the Hs are... all of this rambling and I don't even really know what I am talking about ... Hope you can at least hear some sound clips somewhere before you make the purchase...
Old 11-06-2006, 03:37 AM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

why are you going with shorty headers?
Old 11-06-2006, 05:30 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

when you take the cats off the American Thunder gets VERY loud. On the highway around 2000rpm there is defintiely a lot of interior noise. The catbach sounds great with an H pipe though.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:56 PM
live4motocross11
4th Gear Member

^^ r u saying it will sound great with high flow cats?

and im going with shorties because my car isnt modded enough for long tubes.. yet
Old 11-06-2006, 10:20 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

It'll sound good either way. All im saying is with no cats and probably with highflow cats the American Thunder catback gets a LOT louder than with the stock H pipe. I put my stock H pipe on for inspection and it sounded like i put the stock mufflers back on. I was so amazed that the cats quieted it down that much b/c with the offroad pipe it sounds so savage.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:24 PM
live4motocross11
4th Gear Member

do u have a sound clip because i dont no wat i should do yet
Old 11-06-2006, 10:49 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

sure man, this is with the exhaust in my sig...

WOT
WOT inside
Idling/Reving
Slow Accel.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:48 PM
live4motocross11
4th Gear Member

it doesnt seem like it is way too loud, but i guess its hard to tell through a video? but ne ways sounds rlyyyy nice man
Old 11-07-2006, 01:26 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

well man, it's not "way too loud" it's just a LOT louder without the cats. I love how its loudness and sound outside the car, i just hate the drone at 2000rpms. The drone is really what i think is intollerable without the cats, not the overall loudness. I'm sure either way you're going to be happy man, and thanks for the compliment.

Quick Reply: what h-pipe