General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

88 4cyl lx to 10 second street cruiser....

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 08:54 PM
crawlinotch

Default 88 4cyl lx to 10 second street cruiser....

hey guys, whats up, im very new to the mustang scene, just bought my first 'project car' and its already in the process of being torn apart. ive got the interior out ready for the cage, 20%of the bodywork done, axle and fuel tank are removed, and ive been sandblasting like whoa to try and get the underside cleaned up....heres a few questions for you.

1-what is the difference between the windsor and cleveland 351's???
2-can i use the 7.5" axle's control arms with an 8.8" w/o modding them?
3-who sells quality 'torque box reinforcement' kits???
4-WHICH IS THE BEST IN-TANK FUEL PUMP (DROP IN) FOR HIGH HP APPS? (turbo'ed v8 is the ultimate goal)
5-also, a fuel regulator and hi-flow filter will be necessary, im going to run #6 hard line all the way up.
6-i want to keep stock style suspension in the rear, hopefully a tubular k-member up front, since ill have to change it anyway.
7-its a 4cyl auto....probably going to have to keep it an auto..i want to run a small stall convertor, if any....which trans can i build and drop in easily and will be reliable/guaranteed to 1000hp???
8-will a 351 fit under a stock hood??? can i use 5.0 intakes and such??

any and all help is appreciated.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:32 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 88 4cyl lx to 10 second street cruiser....

1-windsor is more common engine and easier to get parts for, the cleveland was a higher performance engine with different size bearings on the crank and uses different heads, etc. I'd go with a windsor myself just based on parts availablility and lower cost
2-not really sure, but for the HP you are projecting, you really need a 9" Ford rear end to handle that kind of HP and torque with a spool and large racing axles
3-www.WildRidesRaceCars.com 732-751-1113
4-Aeromotive but it ain't drop in
5-Aeromotive, they have a complete system including the tank and lines AER p/n 17106 for $1,629.00 available from www.holcombmotorsports.com
6-you will need to beef up the rear suspension whether you want to or not for that HP, also need beefier brakes all around too
7-maybe a quality built C-6 or any number of race built Powerglides from TCI, B&M, JW, Art Carr Performance, Lentech Automatics, Performance Automatics and others
8-not usually, 5.0 intakes won't fit 351 but heads and other stuff will