General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

which motor should i get?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 02:37 AM
70mach

Default which motor should i get?

My question has to do with my dad's 1970 mach 1 we would like to do something different than nitrous or a supercharger. I have decided to turbo charge it from this website www.turbochargedpower.com which had various turbo kits i was going to go with stage 2 regardless of the price my freing put a kit on his ls1 camaro and its bad. But thats besides the point i know this is vague but engine internals will be eagle rods, je 9.5 to 1 compression pistons, clevite bearings, arp everthing, dart block, AFR heads but the question is i would like higher rpms so do i go with a 302 or 351 whats better? O it will be a currie 9 inch and other bulletproof drivetrain issues. P.S. If you have any tips about the setup please add. thank you very much and forgive me for mentioning a camaro ha ha
Old 11-15-2006, 09:32 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: which motor should i get?

Not the response your probably looking for, but,,, personally I just don't thing "turbos & classic Stangs" feel right mixed together. New Stangs sure, even back to Fox body Stangs. But IMO an older classic stang is just begging for a blower if you're doing FI.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:16 PM
MuscleOwnzRice
4th Gear Member

engine wise....go with something like a 351W, or even if you want to make it different and have the money maybe a newer DOHC 4.6L would be nice. They love revving so maybe that would be cool.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:27 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

eh, i think id stick with a 302 because the rev of the engine is directly related to boost production of a turbo, and the big stroke of the 351 may cause some spooling problems(although im sure it could put out some SICK numbers), a light, fast reving 302 would be my choice...you've got a strong short block set up though, good luck
Old 11-15-2006, 07:27 PM
shifterdelux
2nd Gear Member

Pick up Mustang Performance Handbook. Because sounds a lot like you want only the best, but that does not get you what you want.

Compression ratio is a little high for turbo, 8.5 to 1 sounds more reasonable. You should go with 351W, or a big block such as 390 or 460. The 302 wont last that long, and the one that would costs a lot of money. 4.6, 5.4, or even 6.8 mod motors are perfect for turbo, as long as you use the right block, and DOHC is perfect for high rpm power. Those will costs you a little money, the cheapest solution is 351W or a big block. The 351W you can stroke to 427, 454, or even 600 cubes. More moderate strocking such as 427 will last longer. Dont worry about stroke, those motors can rev pretty high, 8500 no problems.

Choose light aluminum pistons, and either iron block, or aluminum block with iron jackets. If all aluminum block, then you gonna have to coat your aluminum pistons, coatings dont last as long.

You gonna have to sit down and come up with strategy. Write down how much horsepower you want, then go from there. You must want above 1000 horses, because anything bellow that you can achieve with a vorteched 351W strocker.

Definately go ahead and invest $5 toward that book, as it will take a beefy drive train, suspencion, and frame to handle that much power. Once read, you will be able to come up with a balanced combination, more or less.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:32 PM
shifterdelux
2nd Gear Member

Another thing, quad turbo will be a lot more drivable than twin turbo. With that youd be using a smaller turbo to drive a bigger turbo, on each bank. That is how S7 is built.

Check out this fuel management system: www.megasquirt.info
Old 11-16-2006, 01:13 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

If you want high revs, the 302 will out-rev a 351 all day long. A 289 is even better. I run my basically stock bottom 302 up to 7,500 and have never had any problems.

If you want a revving monster, build up a 427FE. You'll have troubles finding the parts, however, and they don't make aftermarket blocks. The 390FE has the same stroke, and I've seen a few that turn 7-8k without problems on basically stock bottom ends.

No matter which you choose, you'll want low compression (8:1 or so) if you really want to let the turbos provide the boost.

For the drivetrain, build up a C6 and the Currie 9 inch and you'll be more than happy with the results.

ORIGINAL: 70mach

My question has to do with my dad's 1970 mach 1 we would like to do something different than nitrous or a supercharger. I have decided to turbo charge it from this website www.turbochargedpower.com which had various turbo kits i was going to go with stage 2 regardless of the price my freing put a kit on his ls1 camaro and its bad. But thats besides the point i know this is vague but engine internals will be eagle rods, je 9.5 to 1 compression pistons, clevite bearings, arp everthing, dart block, AFR heads but the question is i would like higher rpms so do i go with a 302 or 351 whats better? O it will be a currie 9 inch and other bulletproof drivetrain issues. P.S. If you have any tips about the setup please add. thank you very much and forgive me for mentioning a camaro ha ha
Old 11-16-2006, 11:46 AM
shifterdelux
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang
No matter which you choose, you'll want low compression (8:1 or so) if you really want to let the turbos provide the boost.

Read on theory, http://www.autozine.org/technical_sc...ech_index.html

Low compression ratio is necessary to accept more boost, it has nothing to do with turbos providing boost. I think thats what colorodo trying to say, but the sentance is not clear. The boost itself along with timing equates to higher cc compression. You lower compression to accept more boost, which increases volumetric efficiency, and means more power is made at boost.

As far as using big blocks, hehe. My bad, big blocks with turbos. That is exteremily bad ***. The only problem could be increased weight, which will alter handling, and in some cases decrease traction for the straight line, if that weight can not be transfered to the rear effectively. Most of the 427 small blocks (351W strockers) rev very high, 8,500 and higher, high. Thats no different than the 302, but 351W lasts longer. Big blocks last even longer than 351W, but the added weight.

Pick up that book, 351W is cheaper in the long run than 302.