General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

what has more potential

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 02:53 AM
lucky
1st Gear Member

Default what has more potential

im just looking for over all proformance. what is a better car to work on and why?
1988 GT 5.0 vs 1972 351 boss
i know the boss has more stock hp, but im just wondering whats gonna be eaiser and less expensive to upgrade, and keep street leagle?
thanks in advance
Old 08-19-2004, 03:15 AM
95Stealth302
4th Gear Member

Default RE: what has more potential

For heritage sake, the boss would be awesome to own and drive and work on. There's a lot to consider in this decision. First of all, the 88 is going to be easier to find performance parts for simply because there are more being currently manufactured. The parts are cheaper for the 88, but not necessairly easier to install, because there's more stuff under the engine. However, it would be easier to make power in the stock form of each motor because tweaking a carbourated motor is easier and cheaper than an EFI motor, plus you don't have to really comply to all the pollution regulations with a car that old, so you can practically do anything you want. Yet there are many ways of getting around current laws concerning emissions and regulations.

So on the one hand with the 88, you have the availibility of parts, the people (like on this forum) with current knowhow because they have the same car too, you don't have to add lead substitute to the gas, you get more modern look if that's what you like, and you can more easily modify the appearance of the car and body work.

On the other hand with the Boss, you can work on it easier with more space, not comply to regulations with emmissions, own a piece of history, modify an already great engine (hopefully it's the windsor and not cleveland), and have something that's unique on the streets.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:56 AM
lucky
1st Gear Member

thank you sooo much for your input
Old 08-19-2004, 05:25 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

More cubes means more potential when you are budget racing.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:02 PM
horseshoeing
3rd Gear Member

I think you can make more hp with the boss but the 88 will be faster.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:24 PM
bobby
5th Gear Member

yes like horses said, the 72 will be a lot heavier, personally i love the 5.0, but thats just me
Old 08-19-2004, 03:31 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Part price are vitually identical, and straightline performance would be virtually dead even in my opinion because what you gain with the extra cubes in the boss will be a wash with the added weight. Why not a fox mustang with a 351w? best of both worlds [sm=icon_rock.gif]
Old 08-19-2004, 04:12 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

I'd go with the Boss for several reasons:
1-old enough that most states don't require it to meet emissions, so you can make it as strong as you want to
2-lot less clutter under the hood with just a carb and a few vacuum lines
3-replace the old distributor with a new electronic one and put a MSD box on it and will have bulletproof ignition
4-some states let you liscense it as an antique auto and don't require much insurance on it
5-351 can be rebuilt into a really strong engine with relative ease and parts aren't that expensive for it either
6-OLD MUSCLE CARS RULE!
Old 08-19-2004, 04:39 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: roundman
6-OLD MUSCLE CARS RULE!
all old people say that [sm=icon_rofl.gif]
Old 08-19-2004, 04:54 PM
horseshoeing
3rd Gear Member

I 32 and I like old cars. I look at a car being fast as a road race car not in the 1/4. That just me. A 88 is good in the turns and can be good in the 1/4 too. I like the older cars because no emissions and no clutter under the hood.

Quick Reply: what has more potential