General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ac help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 05:56 PM
bigopimp
2nd Gear Member

Default ac help!

is there any kits to convert my ac to 134a? or what parts do i need?
Old 08-24-2004, 06:06 PM
96SilverLT1
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: ac help!

yes there are.. no it's not a good idea. I can get into details if you like but trust me. you are better off staying with R 12. Since you can no longer buy R12 without a licence people tend to think that they should just convert so they can buy 134A and do it themselves. Thats not really a good way to go however. First tell me what kind of problem you are having so that I can geta better idea of what to advise you to do. Gimme a full history of what has been done and what you have planed for the system There are better ways then conversions
Old 08-25-2004, 01:45 AM
bigopimp
2nd Gear Member

first y is it not a good thing to convert? and i donna whites wrong with it i think it just need to be recharged? it did not work win i got the car there was a little bit of presser in the system win i got it but not much. so IM thinking it leakes.and if i can not buy it how do i get it the places i went to don't have any and I have 2 can's of 134a.but if it is not an easy fix IM going to take it all out.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:49 AM
bigopimp
2nd Gear Member

and my s10 truck has r12 and it also need a recharge. i herd its like $50 60 + labor? and my girl friend dad owns a shop but he sed thay don't cary it any more but if i got some he would put it in for me.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:16 AM
96SilverLT1
3rd Gear Member

134 works based on a different pressure curve. For this reason in order for the converstion to work you need to replace teh compressor, drier, orifice tube etc etc. EVen then it will never ever ever get as cold as the R 12 system. There are several differences in the condensor and evaporator core that make it not work nearly as well. Due to teh pressure curve you will not be able to add the same amount of 134a as you would r12 before the head pressure got too high.

2 words that you need to know

freeze 12. It's an R12 substitute. it;s leagal to buy and only a little bit more expensive then 134a. It will react in much the same way as the r 12. Some cases I have seen it actualy cool even better. you can add it with R12 gauges and a can tap adapter made for it or have a shop add it. It works very well. Most places will only charge you 20-30 bucks to *** freon plus the cost of the freon itself. If you need to replace any parts (which you probably will based on the age of the system) then you can replace them like normal and then fully charge with freeze 12
Old 08-25-2004, 02:28 AM
bigopimp
2nd Gear Member

Yeah OK thanks ill have it looked at next summer, but I might just take it off I don't relay use it but there is days after work you just wish you had it and thinks again for the help.