General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A car is only yours when you put the hours into it. T or F

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 04:39 PM
jknoxville456

Default A car is only yours when you put the hours into it. T or F

Is a car more yours if you buy it and bust some knuckles on it or if you buy it from someone else who busted their knuckles on it? Whenever anybody suggests a large project such as an engine swap, the only replies they get are " You should just sell your car to buy one you like". Where the HELL is the fun in that?
Old 12-01-2006, 05:14 PM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

Default RE: A car is only yours when you put the hours into it. T or F

Definitely True
Old 12-01-2006, 06:14 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Yes, true.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:17 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

some people are not mechanically inclined
and/or hate oil & grease......it doesn't mean they
don't love their baby stangs

Old 12-01-2006, 06:33 PM
DesertMach
2nd Gear Member

False
Some people have to bust thier butt just to afford thier car, and may not have the knowledge to do an engine swap.
But this does not mean that they didn't work just as hard to get thier car or that they donr love it as much as the next guy.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Modifying your car is an experience that DOES form a bond.I wouldn't trade my Mustang for anything,it's mine and I like it.It also makes it easier to diagnose problems with your car because you WILL learn something about it no matter how little work you have done.
The other side of the coin is that once a car is modified,it's definately yours because a lot of people are scared to buy a car thats been taken apart and put back together,even if it has been improved.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:55 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Well it's definitely a good thing for someone to NOT work on stuff they don't feel comfortable or mechanically inclined to to.. I mean, would YOU like to be riding in a friends car when he announces "hey I just overhauled the whole brake system on this car.. & it's the FIRST time I ever held a wrench!" Do the work if you *can* but have it done if you don't know how to.

But, if your adding mods to your car & are having the work done because you don't have the skills,,, would you at least be eager & willing to at least watch the work being done and even assist in small areas that you can? I know a few guys who are mechanically challenged, AND have absolutely NO care to participate or learn. Hell some of those guy would have their floor mats installed for them

To each their own. If someone is rich enough to run around signing checks to have everything done then fine whatever.. but personally I have a LOT more respect for a car where the owner did their own work, even if that car isn't as flashy as some other "rich guys car" whom did none of the work & doesn't want to learn.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:04 PM
tims 88 4
4th Gear Member

i do all of my own woork im 18 and have done 3 motor builds3 trans swaps ans a trans rebuild in my old 4 banger id be willing to say that was MY CAR and and the things that happened in and with it
Old 12-01-2006, 10:14 PM
DILO2001GT
I ♥ Acer

yeah i agree. i mean something i can't do or don't have ***** trying like a gear swap and i don't feel like attempting my cams istall. but for the most part i do everything else.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:35 AM
7arpad7
2nd Gear Member

The more a person works on thier car, the more they can appreciate it and really call it thier own... I have to put in a counter-point to what a lot of the posts have thus far stated. While the preceeding is true with respect to turning a wrench, I don't think that those that just spend the time detailing them have less appreciation for it. I have busted some knuckles and worked up a good sweat just trying to get a good wax job on my beast... Not that I do that very often myself.

Quick Reply: A car is only yours when you put the hours into it. T or F