General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Starter, solenoid or battery problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 01:19 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

Default Starter, solenoid or battery problem?

Well, I can't really figure it out. It's either not enough CCA's (in which case I'll really beat the crap out of the DA at Sears who couldn't even replace the side post bolt when he replaced the battery! He really put a regular bolt in there!) in the battery, the starter motor itself going bad or something wrong with the solenoid.

The past 2-3 days, when I go out to my car (mainly when it's cold) I go to start it and the starter engages for a second and than there is a VIZZZZZZZZZZING sound and when the key is released it slowly comes to a stop (NOTE: When the key is held it keeps spining faster). The starter is spining, but not engaging (kinda like a safety to avoid turning the starter while the motor is already running).

Any idea what it might be? I think it's the starter motor going.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:33 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Starter, solenoid or battery problem?

Either the starter motor is shot, or maybe you've got some teeth missing on your flywheel?
Old 12-11-2006, 02:57 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GreyStang

Either the starter motor is shot, or maybe you've got some teeth missing on your flywheel?
I doubt it's the flywheel. For it to sit there and spin like it did this morning (I intentionally held the key to start and listened to it just rev up) it would have to be A LOT of teeth missing. I can sheck, but why all of a sudden? I haven't double started it since I got it (it's a little quieter than my last few cars when Idling).

I'll crawl under it later just to make sure, but I think it's just the starter. Thanks. I just wanted a few second opinions.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:24 PM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

turn the motor over by to bolt on the crank they go try to turn the key see if it starts you know the flywheel is missing a few teeth
Old 12-11-2006, 11:34 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

That'd be the bendix in the starter. Costs about $10 in parts and 10 minutes to change...
ORIGINAL: Clu7ch

Well, I can't really figure it out. It's either not enough CCA's (in which case I'll really beat the crap out of the DA at Sears who couldn't even replace the side post bolt when he replaced the battery! He really put a regular bolt in there!) in the battery, the starter motor itself going bad or something wrong with the solenoid.

The past 2-3 days, when I go out to my car (mainly when it's cold) I go to start it and the starter engages for a second and than there is a VIZZZZZZZZZZING sound and when the key is released it slowly comes to a stop (NOTE: When the key is held it keeps spining faster). The starter is spining, but not engaging (kinda like a safety to avoid turning the starter while the motor is already running).

Any idea what it might be? I think it's the starter motor going.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:55 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

That'd be the bendix in the starter. Costs about $10 in parts and 10 minutes to change...
Well, when it's this hard to remove (FWD AND a GM) I'm gonna just go ahead and replace the WHOLE thing. LOL!!! PLus I already bought the starter.