General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Maier Suspension on 67 Mustang fastback

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 09:06 AM
neovovenice

Default Maier Suspension on 67 Mustang fastback

I'm thinking of installing a new suspension on my 67 Mustang Fastback with 351W Engine (+/- 475 HP). Would Maier be a good choice. If not, which brand/system owuld be better?

Thanks for the advice
Old 10-12-2004, 04:44 AM
hhiibel

Default RE: Maier Suspension on 67 Mustang fastback

how'd you get 475hp out of your 351w? stroked? blower? nitrous? EFI? solid roller?

i got 500hp out of my 428cj. the original 390GT is quitely slumbering in my garage. wouldn't want to trash restoration value.

anyway, if money is no object and you don't have issues with changing the nostalgia of the car then total control if you can find it. rumor was they're out of business. don't know if it's true or not. else a mustangII conversion. you can find it if you search hard. and if you search hard enough you'll find the site offering an independent rear out of a jaguar.

myself, i boxed my uppers and lowers, made a neg wedge kit. and added total control struts. caltracs and soft springs in the rear. plus total control subframe connectors and cross member. i can send you a contact for the wedges at $75 a pair. you supply the shock tower plates, ball joints and bolts. or you can search for global west suspension. and don't believe that crap about having to replace the whole lower when replacing the lower ball joints. cj pony parts has just the lower ball joints.

are your arms the originals? shafts still good? it's fun grinding out the ball joint rivets to remove them. It's said the originals are stronger than what's available now. If you need someone to box them, I might be able to talk my brother into it for a price. He did mine as a favor. turned out great. if you weld or have a buddy that does you're set.

another great source is www.cobraautomotive.com they do vintage racing and essentially offer a package that does what I did which is the shelby drop how it should have been done. But the race rules didn't allow the wedge on the upper ball so he only lowered 1 inch.

if you don't have that factory undercoating(i do) then consider mustang plus' body stiffening kit as an alternative to subframe connectors.

my 67 fastback is a GT. Is your's a GT?

actually, you could make your own adjustable heim jointed struts. at one time i had almost found all the parts. the catch is fabbing a front mount. just some welding if once again you don't mind altering the nostalgia of your car. or you could consider the 67/68 cougar struts. look em up.

if you want to discuss email me directly at howardshari@comcast.net

good luck.