General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

longevity question

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 05:00 AM
dave4943

Default longevity question

I've been looking for a nice low cost 1999-2003 mustang for a while now to drive around in for the next few years. I've generally been looking at v6's because of the lower cost and better gas mileage, but I just saw a really nice 99 gt with 95 thousand miles and am wondering about the general longevity of mustangs. This one's owner claims it was well maintained and driven by an older responsible driver, so I'm just curious what people's thoughts are on how many more miles I could get out of something like that before major problems would start creeping up. I know that every car is different, and it depends on who's put those miles on the car, but just in general would a person be able to expect to get 200 thousand miles out of a 99 gt by keeping it well maintained, or should I keep looking at lower mileage v6's?
Old 12-20-2006, 05:30 AM
geetee03
5th Gear Member

Default RE: longevity question

you can get 200k out of a well maintained modular. there are a few members on here with 150k+ and still going strong.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:48 AM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

^^^ +1 this is true, however, most ppl beat the crap outa their mustangs when drivin them, even
if they are well maintained

i would look for a lower mile car then that, but take it to ur mechanic and have him look at it, they can
tell you exactly what is wrong with the car and how good of shape it is in

dont be shy in telling the guy you want YOUR mechanic to look at it
Old 12-20-2006, 10:52 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Older drivers don't necessarily maintain their cars better than other owners.I have a neighbor who knows absolutely nothing about cars or anything connected to cars.He bought a late model Mercury with the 4.6 engine last summer.Every morning he would get in his car and crank up the engine.He didn't realize the car was as easy to start as it was and wouldleave the starter engaged for several seconds after the engine was running.Then he would rev the engine to about three or four grand"so it would stay running".
If I hadn't intevened I'm sure the car would need a new starter by now and some day theengine would be making noises from the cold revving it woke up to every day.
Take the car to a mechanic ofYOUR choice and have it gone over carefully.Fuel mileage differences aren't that great and just for reference I can get 32 mpg out of my 04 GT.Insurance willbe higher for the GT over the V6 also.If this might be a problem I would call the insurance agent first.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:38 AM
7arpad7
2nd Gear Member

It may just be me, but I wouldn't even think about the V6... There are quite a few people out there with them that beat on those as hard or harder then the V8s. The V8 is going to be have more of a fun factor then that V6, so... Any car with 95K miles on it is suspect to need a load of work done to make it 100% right. A suspension system is pretty worn out after about 80K, so most likely if it has 95K on it you will be the one stuck with that job. But... that can be considered a good thing if you can afford to spend a couple of dollars on the car after buying it because you can upgrade it and really make the car handle well. There are sooo many aftermarket parts for the Mustang that it is sick... Even though there is a difference in thegas milage between the two of them, if you want to get a car with good gas milage then the Geo Metro would bea better choice... All in all, the 4.6 liter engine is not that bad on gasas long as you are not always into the throttle...

One last note... if thecar is well maintained you will still have plenty of enjoyable miles left in there. Having a car looked atby a certifiedmechanic costs around 50 dollars, but can save you thousands in the longer run.

You know you want that GT... Get the GT... Go get the GT...